Aspiring Mk2 owner

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
nimchimpsky82
Aspiring Mk2 owner

#1 Post by nimchimpsky82 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 am

Hi all

Having searched for years, I now finally have a garage at my disposal, so feel confident and comfortable in looking for a classic car -- which will have to be in good condition as I don't have time for a project.

My taste is pretty much all over the place... but having two little monkeys running around my house means that something like a Porsche 944 is out -- I need more proper rear seats, with rear seat belts already fitted or at least the possibility of getting those installed.

Several Triumphs are among my favourite cars, and always have been. Waaay back, when I still lived in my native Holland I test drove a couple of MkIV and 1500 Spitfires, but came to the sad conclusion that they're really not suitable for my 6'6" frame... I also love the Herald 1200 Convertible, Vitesse Convertible and Stag. However, what these all have in common is that just like a 944 they're not very spacious in the rear either. I'd even struggle with a Stag especially as with my height I'd need to have the driver's seat all the way back, and I'll want to use two child seats for safety.

The good news is that I also really like the big saloon in Mk2 guise, so that's now very high on my list. My recent encounter with a 2000 TC, described elsewhere on this forum has made me want one even more.

These cars are clearly not as common as they used to be anymore, but for now I enjoy scouring places like eBay and Car & Classic. I may post again soon with questions about specific cars for sale if that's OK. Meanwhile, needless to say if anyone knows of a good one then I would very much appreciate a heads up, either in this thread or via PM.

Will

johnnydog

Re: Aspiring Mk2 owner

#2 Post by johnnydog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 am

Biding your time, being prepared to physically look at as many as possible (even poor examples) to get to know the cars and their weak areas, and avoiding looking at them with 'rose tinted glasses' (thinking that there might not be another!) is so important before you commit to buy. Once you have seen a few and got to know their areas of weakness, the right one will shout at you as soon as you see it. Shiney on top however doesn't mean it's good underneath!
There has been plenty of discussion about the most desirable models - MK1 or MK2 is down to personal preference, but I would say PI's and 'S' models are the most desirable, with the 2000 at the bottom of the list. Post 74 models are more prone to corrosion than earlier models due to the steel used in their manufacture. Estates are now getting quite rare.
But equally, any model - one that is original and structurally sound is definately worth considering over any so called 'restored' car.
I'm sure you will get any advice you need if you just ask the question on here!
Good luck!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

nimchimpsky82

#3 Post by nimchimpsky82 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 am

Thanks very much for your advice Johnny. All extremely helpful to know -- and I can tell from the contents of your garage that you're basing all this on plenty of experience! :)
I think my personal preference would be for a 2500S, but in line with what you suggest, I'm open to other engines too, the main criteria being condition and provenance. The estate is quite handsome, but I nonetheless prefer the Stag-like boot and rear lights of the (Mk2) saloon, so at least that should make the hunt slightly easier.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 am

Good luck with your search. The advice from John is very good and I totally agree with him. We've all gone and bought the first car we see (I did with my Stag in 1987 but I was lucky!). The 'S' is a nice car but being a late model was built with (probably!) poorer steel and seems to rust more than earlier models, so be aware of that. Mind you, they are all over 40 years old and rust proofing wasn't the best!

I'm sure you will be pleased when you find the right one!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

nimchimpsky82

#5 Post by nimchimpsky82 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:21 am

Hm, thanks very much Mike; that's definitely worth bearing in mind.

Keeping my fingers crossed now that with the weather slowly improving a few more cars will be taken out of storage, and some owners will decide to make space for something new :D

johnnydog

#6 Post by johnnydog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 am

As luck (may) have it, I have spoken to a Register member this weekend who lives in Lancashire, who has a 'L' reg manual overdrive 2000 saloon in white. He has just agreed to buy an old Mercedes, so 'the powers that be' has said the Triumph has to go.
I don't know much about it, other than he describes the car as 'very nice'. He did 'Drive It Day' last weekend in it, albeit with the Lancashire Automobile Club (I know - you'd have thought he would have joined our run....!! :roll:). I haven't seen the car, so I don't know much about it other than I know it has a full length Webasto sunroof - you either like them or hate them being honest, but if this is the type of Triumph you would be interested in, then let me know, and I can find out more, and / or pass details on. It also wouldn't be far to travel to have a look.....
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

nimchimpsky82

#7 Post by nimchimpsky82 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks very much johnnydog. I've been abroad for work so only seen your message just now; will send you a PM.