New potential 2000ist

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
brianthesnail96
New potential 2000ist

#1 Post by brianthesnail96 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi all,

Just signed up to the forum, not an owner yet but actively looking. Never owned a Triumph myself but I helped with a pretty thorough restoration of a Dolly 1850HL belonging to a friend and have done two RBRRs in it now, however I gave up my seat this year so the owner's Dad can have a go.

For some reason I can't quite fathom I've got a Morris Marina (I know, but I'm very attached to the old bus and I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be, except maybe when it comes to going around corners), a couple of friends with a similar affliction discussed doing similar to the RBRR with the Marinas (and we're still planning to) but in the meantime why not do the real deal again. This means I get a good excuse to scratch the itch I've had for a long time for a big saloon- I've always admired them but aesthetically and aurally and I'm rather looking forward to having one on the drive. We've got a place on the run so now we need something to drive!

Mostly going to loiter and hoover up the hints and tips for some of the more basic handling and performance mods- and reliability of course (spin on filter conversion...) but hope to contribute a bit too.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. despite the apologetic email, thank you for the quick account activation!

Charles H

Re: New potential 2000ist

#2 Post by Charles H » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 am

Welcome to the fold. You will not regret getting a big saloon.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Matt,

"P.S. despite the apologetic email, thank you for the quick account activation!"

Yes, sorry about that. I tend to use the previous email and 'forward' it. As I clicked 'send' I saw the apology! So, please just ignore it!

I've had big saloons since 1974 and since then had a 1500TC and a Dolomite 1300. They were nice cars but I think the big saloons are nicer. Not that I'm biased of course!

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by SimonO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Matt,

Whereabouts are you? The Lincolnshire Area has a Marina owner among the attendees at the monthly meetings!

Welcome to the Forum.

Simon

brianthesnail96

#5 Post by brianthesnail96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Cheers folks. I assumed it was probably something along those lines Mike, no bother, just made me chuckle especially as you must have almost dealt with it by return of post as it were.

Must admit I really enjoy driving the Dolomite, it goes very well, handles nicely (I may have low standards in this respect) and I'm a huge fan of the overdrive 'box.Great little cars and one would be a sensible choice. But they don't sound like a big six...

I'm in Gloucestershire by the way- I meant to say. Live in Dursley but work in Stonehouse, I do see a couple of big sixes around the latter from time to time and Ted isn't too far away in the FoD so I'm not alone! I wonder who the Marina & Triumph owner is in Lincs... I know quite a few of them now, there aren't that many of us after all :lol:

brianthesnail96

#6 Post by brianthesnail96 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Had a test drive of a 2500TC, can definitely see why they are such popular cars for long distance driving events.

Not the smartest example out there by a long shot but it drove well- have agreed a price but the owner is still using it as his modern has broken down... 8)