new to the forum

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
derekscotton
Newly registered
new to the forum

#1 Post by derekscotton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi everyone,I have been in the past a fan of MGs have had 1 MGA 3MGBs now I fancy a Triumph 2000,I am going to look at a 2000MK2.its got overdrive however when he had the engine gearbox out he forgot to reconnect the inhibitor switch back up is this possible to do without removing the gearbox ?I gather its the usual things to look for the tin worm in wheel arches,door bottoms etc.one other point do most of you guys use 20w-50w oil.
Your comments would be most welcome.By the way in am in Leicester.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new to the forum

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions, it is possible to the get to the inhibitor switch. It's on top of the gearbox, but there is another one which controls the reversing lights which is on the side. Or maybe the other way around! You can probably get your hand up to the top and reconnect the wires by feel. If not, you can always drop the back of the 'box down a bit to give some more room. You'll probably have to disconnect the prop and maybe the exhaust to do that.

Tin worm. Front valance, all 4 wings and inner wheel arches, and sills, the latter maybe more important. The sills are a triple structure but it is all too easy to fit an outer 'cover' sill without bothering to repair the middle sill. If really bad, the floor and outriggers will start to rot too.

Oil. Personally, I keep to 20/50, usually VR1 in both the PI and Stag. Triumph recommended 20/50 and I don't see any reason to deviate from that.

Glad to see you post on here after your registration the other day!

Oh, and by the way, happy birthday!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)