Introducing myself

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
nickwaterson
Newly registered
Introducing myself

#1 Post by nickwaterson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm

High my name is Nick Waterson and myself and my son Daniel joined the club at the Stoneleigh MG and Triumph show, I am 54 and my son is 16 and at North Warwickshire college studying vehicle mechanics. Hence the purchase of a May 1964 Triumph 2000 mk1 as I always fancied a classic car and it will give my son hands on experience working on a classic car.
More about the car it is on sorn at the moment but the engine does run although a bit rough but we intend to take it out and rebuild it and convert it to unleaded as well as put an electric starting system and fuel injection but using the original distributer and carbs so as it still looks original but can be used in modern traffic. I do have a modern car for doing the high miles in. The car does need refurbishing and respraying which I will be embarking on later in the year as funds are released. In the meantime we will be starting on the wheels and breaks and then moving onto the suspension and have the underneath of the car looked at to see if any welding may be needed. It has 52000 on the clock and I do have a history of all the owners and original green registration book.
I live in Nuneaton in Warwickshire and seeing as this is our first restoration would appreciate any advice and recommendations and information on where to ask advice and reputable garages in the area I live in.
I am considering doing a write up on the car and sending in some pictures to the club to see if it something the club would like to put in the magazine and then keep a running brief on the restoration ?.

Nick

Alan Chatterton

Re: Introducing myself

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Register, I'm sure I chatted to you at Stoneleigh?

Nuneaton is not far from me (Redditch) but we do have a few enthusiastic members near to you too who I am sure will help and give advice as needed.

Local to you is Canley Classics, http://www.canleyclassics.com/ Dave Pearson who owns it is a dedicated 2000 enthusiast, and he will be very helpful if you need him.

Part, see SIXappeal, but Chris Witor and Earlpart will become good friends of yours I am sure.

As for the article, yes please!!! Sounds great, we are always after interesting things to include in our magazine. Contact Kevin Warrington on sixappeal@triumph2000register.co.uk and he'll tell you what works best for publication.

Have you thought of running a blog of your work? I found it useful to look back over what I had done and how far I had yet to go. On the main website front page is the links to the blogs, we could put your on there if you wanted? Contact Simon our Webmaster on webmaster@triumph2000register.co.uk

Hope this helps for now.

Alan
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

johnnydog

#3 Post by johnnydog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Nick,
Welcome to the Register and forum! I have been a Register member for 31 years now, and have honestly found it to be one of the friendliest car clubs that I have joined. Combined with the wealth of knowledge on here, and advice when you need it, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy the restoration. It's easy to embark on a project with great eagerness; however it won't be without problems; a project that you think will take 2 years will enevitably take twice as long and stretch the finances a bit, but don't let it dampen your enthusiasm!
Big six ownership, especially with an early Mk1, will be well worth burning the midnight oil to get to the final result!
John
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Daisy221
Newly registered

#4 Post by Daisy221 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 am

Hello there! I am Daisy from Alabama and i am freelance writer & blogger in education industry and now i join this forum community and newbie here.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#5 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Welcome Nick and Daniel

My dad and I are also restoring 2 cars at the moment. Both cars have been stripped down to bare metal. Mine is currently being built up again and I'm just welding dad's at the moment. Having four hands to do the work definitely helps to keep project moving even with the banter! Doing a rolling restoration has its advantages you can tinker on a Saturday and go out for drive on the Sunday. Complete restorations take time and space at this present moment the wife has to put up with extra table decorations at dinner time. Budget aswell, very easy to dig a hole and throw money into it. We look forward to view future posts on your restoration.