Hello from Germany

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
Mike.Luis
Hello from Germany

#1 Post by Mike.Luis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of a Mk1 Pi LHD.
Since a couple of day's I am a member of the 2000 register and would like to introduce myself.

I surched for a LHD Triumph 2.5 saloon since a couple of year and now the time has come to take the chance and buy the right car for my pupose.
I am a Triumph nut since I bought my first Triumph in 1995, when I was 24 years old.
It was and still is a TR6 1976 US model, which I took over from the second owner, who had the car for just two years. First owner was a doctor. The TR6 had 42k miles on the clock and was in untouched condition.
I converted the car two years ago to Pi spec. with quite a lot of go faster mods.

Back to the new acquisition.
The Mk1 is a 1969 registered Pi LHD with red leather interieur and a folding back sunroof (I believe Webasto).
Some of you may know this car from a swiss member of this club. It was the car of the month December 2013 and belonged to Martin Lewis, who leaves in Switzerland.
The body tub needs some welding mainly at the front wheel arches and the sills.
The whole suspension, brakes and axles has been already rebuild by Martin and I am quite impressed, how mediculous he carried out the work and preparation for the ongoing restauration.

You can also visit my blog, to see the ongoing rebuild and if you like, also the TR6 engine rebuild and Pi-conversion at
https://mytriumphblog.wordpress.com/201 ... -lucas-pi/
or
https://mytriumphblog.wordpress.com/201 ... -5-pi-lhd/

I am looking forward to share the rebuild of my saloon with you and hope to get some feedback to(hopefully not only silly) questions, which most likely will arise during the rebuild.

Cheers
Michael Ries

Dazzer
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Hello from Germany

#2 Post by Dazzer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 am

Hi Michael

Thank you for posting, impressive engine build on your blog. Very nice!

Look forward to seeing the PI build as well.

Cheers
Darren

Mike.Luis

#3 Post by Mike.Luis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Here are some pictures

Michael

Mike.Luis

#4 Post by Mike.Luis » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Here is a short update of the restoration.
Restoration progress is slow, but at least it goes on.

Engine and gearbox with A-overdrive has been removed. The engine seems to be untouched and in good shape. Nonetheless the block needs a re-bore to +020. The original cross drilled long back crank is ok to use without a regrind. Crank will be nitrided, dynamically balanced and the journals will be polished. I plan to use the new VP2 repro's from AE (Federal Mogul). Would be good to know in case someone has already any experience with these bearings.
I would like to stay with the original specified 132 BHP cam, but I am not sure if this cam is ok for a slightly higher CR of close to 10:1, with some head work to make it a bit more crisp to drive. It shall be a car with good torque and smooth idle, as I want to use the car not just for Sunday drives. It will be used regularly. Any recommendations are welcome?

Apart from the engine, I started to dismantle the door internals. The bottom of the doors have corrosion, but it looks like they don't need any welding, except for the bottom door seal rails.
Does anyone know where can I get these rails from?

Regards
Michael

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:30 am

Mike.Luis wrote:Does anyone know where can I get these rails from?
Chris Witor does 2' lengths of weld-on channel for the door seal. Unfortunately the postage appears to be more expensive than the part, presumably they need to be sent in a strong cardboard or plastic tube to protect them in transit.

http://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=CW3927
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Roymck

#6 Post by Roymck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 am

That is not a Tudor Webasto sun roof they are fitted into a wood frame screwed into the roof skin. It's more likely a Britax roof also sold under other names in period. That style of roof is recognisable by the aluminium profile sandwiching the roof skin and being bolted through.
Good luck with the restoration

Mike.Luis

#7 Post by Mike.Luis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks Dave for the link. I checked couple times the CW shop without finding the rails.

Roy, yes I know its not a Webasto. I was searching for a manufacture of the roof skin and front steel plate. It was The Trimming Centre in East Susex, who was very supportive to give me some information and prices to rebuild the roof. It would be quite pricey if I would send the sliding section to be completely rebuild. I need to dismantle the sliding section first, to see if I can manage myself to rebuild it.

Cheers
Michael