Triumph related information.

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
elj 1963
Newly registered

#1 Post by elj 1963 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks for accepting me on the forum. I have had many classics over the years, but I am drawn back to Triumph! I am looking for a Man. o/d 2500S, or a 2500TC.
There is a classic car dealer down in the New Forest called " M and M Automotive". They have for sale a 1976 BRG 2500TC for sale at £6950, it looks A1 condition. Restored 10 years ago, 63k from new.
It is advertised on carandclassic. The price seems a bit steep to me, would like to hear anybodys thoughts about this on the forum. Also if any members have or know any of the the two models I mentioned for sale I would be very interested. Thankyou. PIC of the BRG 2500TC enclosed.
Attachments
6839563.jpg
6839563.jpg

eckplant

Re: Triumph related information.

#2 Post by eckplant » Fri May 20, 2016 9:44 pm

sorry to be bearer of bad news...but car far from being restored and in A1 condition was described as having excessive corrosion in seat belt anchorage,offside and nearside suspension mounts and floorpan as recent as November 2007 ( check the MOT history of a vehicle)
so it was probably a rotbox that has been tarted up. Unfortunately 'R' registered cars (really anything after may'74) are prone to disintegrate in the usual areas. I found this out early on when I had a Triumph 2000 reg RHS835R and it started to rot after 2 years from new, starting with the rear offside door bottom. I have owned 22 triumph 2000/2500's in my life and out of them all I have had 2 cars that basically reverted back to iron ore before my eyes, BOTH of them 2500TC's (one an 'R' reg the other an 'S' )
Too many people advertise cars as being almost perfect and only a little bit of tlc needed to get it back on the road, but this is rarely the case. Have been watching that 2500TC for a while, seeing it go through the auction and then massively inflated price by the dealer, but the car is not A1, a car to me that is A1 is an unmolested original car that has 'nothing' done to it apart from maybe being waxoyled or zeibarted from new, I have seen too many 'professionally restored' cars deteriorate quite quickly and need constant attention.
Everybody is scared of restoration, best thing to do is buy a mig welder and practice, it's a bit scary to think of but anybody
can do it, buy some sheet metal and practice welds, then buy a car and do it yourself even if it takes an age. Either that or pay £6950 and still not be sure what lurks below.

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Polly » Fri May 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Aren't you being a bit harsh here? The 2007 mot fail is nearly 10 years ago, and if it was restored then, it has had another 9 years to disintegrate again. The price quoted, surely is reasonable for good,properly restored car, and a 2007 mot fail is hardly evidence that it is anything other than genuine. I will agree that at that price however, it does warrant a thorough inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

eckplant

#4 Post by eckplant » Fri May 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Maybe a bit harsh, but don't want somebody buying something that will put him off Triumphs. I love the marque,but know the pitfalls when buying, especially when the cars are priced as high as that. That particular car has gone up considerably since it last appeared online , the price it sold for at the end of last year was more like it, £4725, but now with the same Mot expiry date this June it's nearly £7000 and that is a bit too expensive to make a mistake on.
I bought another Triumph 2500tc about a year and a half ago (just because I am a Triumph nut) and it was advertised as only needing a little bit of welding for MOT, but is in fab condition. I bought in on ebay and the pictures looked great. When I got it home, well !........I have never seen a more rotten car, but now having renewed the inner/middle/outer sills and completely renewed the chassis legs and both front outriggers and both middle outriggers and both front floorpans and both rear floorpans I know the car is solid and I photographed the whole sorry process, but that car only cost me under £900.
Just because a car looks good etc etc, If I were interested in that car I would want to see the restoration photographs

elj 1963
Newly registered

#5 Post by elj 1963 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi to everyone who has replied to my post. This is why I have joined the forum.
Old saying, `All that glitters is not gold`. I thankyou for your knowledge. Trevor Jones.