New Aussie member

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
murcod
New Aussie member

#1 Post by murcod » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:50 am

Hello, thought I'd introduce myself now I actually own a cream coloured 2500 PI (I've been researching for a while but haven't posted much.) :)

I'm from Adelaide Australia and have just taken ownership of a 1971 2500 PI. It's been in the family for a number of years and belonged to my wife's Grandfather. He has modded it quite a lot (mechanically) and has fitted a Holden 202 (3.3l) 6 cylinder engine and five speed manual gearbox. It's apparently had the Datsun rear halfshaft mod done and appears to have an aftermarket rear swaybar (but no front swaybar).

It's a bit rough in the body and needs some work, but the interior is good. The seats have been retrimmed at some stage in tan velour/ vinyl and look in excellent condition. The woodwork and dash plastics needs some TLC.

I'll post up some pics a bit later and no doubt will have a lot of questions at a later date. (For example I'm in the market for a front indicator lense, headlight, windscreen, door stop straps and a few other bits and pieces.)

The plan is to first ensure it's in a safe drivable state (it has been off the road for 2yrs) and then slowly fix things up.

Cheers,

David.
David
1971 MkII 2.5PI (fitted with Holden 3.3l, 6 cylinder engine and Toyota five speed manual gearbox)

nickbarman

Re: New Aussie member

#2 Post by nickbarman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi
Sounds like you have my PI's twin!! Love to see some pics. I have a friend in Adelaide.where are you located?

Regards
Nick

murcod

#3 Post by murcod » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 am

I live north east of the city centre.

I'll get up some pics in the next week or so. Engine bay pics are below:

The condition of the engine bay pretty well sums up the whole vehicle- very rough around the edges. :( I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

I had a win tonight (although an expensive one) and have fixed the power steering leak. A new custom made hose looks like it's done the job. I refixed the windscreen washer bottle to the firewall as well.... only to discover it leaking everywhere from inside the pump when I filled it up!

:lol: Yet another thing added to my "to do" list.
David
1971 MkII 2.5PI (fitted with Holden 3.3l, 6 cylinder engine and Toyota five speed manual gearbox)

kevinw

#4 Post by kevinw » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:16 pm

That engine looks remarkably like a Bedford 214 truck engine. Both GM companies, so I wonder if there is a common origin?

Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

murcod

#5 Post by murcod » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:42 am

Ironically my father inlaw has a 1960 J1 Bedford truck with the 214ci engine. I can tell you the ignition leads from the 202 aren't long enough for the 214- so I'd guess they are only similar cosmetically.
David

tony

#6 Post by tony » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:20 am

Kevin,Early Holdens were Chev based,still I suppose Vauxhall/Bedford were too! A 202 Holden is a much better motor than a 214 Beddy.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

murcod

#7 Post by murcod » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:11 pm

tony wrote:A 202 Holden is a much better motor than a 214 Beddy.
:lol: I still wouldn't call a 202 a fantastic engine! They're an old (but reliable) design, there are plenty of bits around to improve their performance. I'm sure the 2500 will get along quite well with that engine and a 5 speed Toyota box. The engine has a high torque (towing?) cam in it which is probably a good combo as I imagine it's not the sort of engine that would like to rev hard.

I'll have it back on the road next week, so will post my impressions then. (Mind you I haven't been in a stock 2500.)
David

Andy G

#8 Post by Andy G » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:01 am

I love that inlet manifold. It's very industrial! :D

murcod

#9 Post by murcod » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:57 am

txiki1uk wrote:I love that inlet manifold. It's very industrial! :D
:shock: To be honest I was shocked when I saw it. I had the carby off yesterday (damn fuel leaks.....) and discovered that a lot of thought has actually gone into the design eg. the middle runner doesn't actually flow straight through to the carby (like it appears it would externally.) There's a "partition" welded inside the manifold so the air has to flow around either side of that to get to the middle runner.

PS: I need to do something about the air filter setup because the whole carby has to come off to change/ inspect the filter!
David

tony

#10 Post by tony » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:24 am

Probably something like a Ramflo or K & N would fit. Looks like you've got plenty of room.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.