Page 3 of 3

Re: Mk1 Pi engine rebuild

Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:47 am
by M5driver
No John, use the Golf can't beat 61 to 68 mpg. The current pi engine is ok but uses oil and the pressure gets very low when hot.

The block is black. I did buy another colour but did not like it. Should have gone for dayglow yellow.

Anyhow the crank is back in with new vandevell shells. The thrust washers have been done one std one oversize and the rear crank seal is back on. The pistons have rings on with the gaps all checked. New oil pump checked for tollerance you never know it could be wrong. Next to go on is a new front sealing block from jigsaw racing. It needs a little fettling to fit. No-one seems to make things properly these days or check them for correct fit.
Pictures to follow.

Re: Mk1 Pi engine rebuild

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm
by M5driver
Well folks only 3 weeks to the national and progress has been made.

The crank is in and endfloat set. The rear oil seal housing is in. The front bridge piece is in, those wooden wedges are a pain they broke up when being tapped in. I made more of my own. It took ages to find all the little pieces of wood!
Five of the new pistons are in with new rod bolts from ARP.
The camshaft is in and the front engine plate is on.

Now for the painful bit I broke a piston ring when placing it in the compressor. Don't know how it happened but it did. So a whole new set on order just for one compression ring.
Its a bit of a setback but I'm learning as I go.

The oil pump is in and a new relief valve fitted, with the sump temporarily fitted to keep the dust out.
P1030315.JPG
The attachment P1030317.JPG is no longer available
The attachment P1030316.JPG is no longer available
The attachment P1030315.JPG is no longer available

Re: Mk1 Pi engine rebuild

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:39 pm
by M5driver
Hi Everyone who has been following this. Not posted for ages but little things have been going on like cleaning the distributor and the metering unit drive gear housing plus painting. the drive gear itself needed re pinning the major gear was loos on the shaft. There is also an interlude going on. The MK2 has been taking up my time. See a separate post.