Recommissioning of BEL

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
Calorian
Groupie
Groupie
Recommissioning of BEL

#1 Post by Calorian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:26 pm

With HLO now more or less a reliable runner with very few issues, I have decided to turn my attention to the other 2000 in the family. Some of you may remember this one as my daily runner 2008-2010 until I swapped it for HLO. Unfortunately, it was in 2010 that she last saw any significant use aside from the yearly run out for the MOT, the last of which expired in 2013. Her last MOT was a fail and the couple before had a few advises so I’m using these as my job list. It looks to be mostly welding work with some minor tasks such as boot replacements and headlight alignment etc. Aside from this list however extra jobs will undoubtedly come along.

Will it be too difficult to get the car back on the road? No, I don’t think so. Will it be without sinking a ton of money in to it and by the end of the year when my brother wants it as his first car? Well, that I can’t promise.

At current she will start and run, though she wont drive as something just doesn't look right with the accelerator cable gubbins (She was converted from Stoms to HS4s and the bracket is epoxied to the manifold for a start (pictured)), the auto box has leaked all its fluid away, the rear brakes are stuck fast (the handbrake isn't the cause here for once!) and the interior in general could use a good clean up.
Does the manifold look right, is it worth trying to work out why its glued and remount it or should I just replace it with the longer inlet when I get the chance? (I've heard this is a thing, better flow or some such??)
My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL

Charles H

Re: Recommissioning of BEL

#2 Post by Charles H » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:01 am

I think the manifold is correct for the HS4 carbs. The longer tract manifold is for the HS6s and have a different stud configuration. It will be worth looking at the book to identify how the cable is supposed to fit on HS4s.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Calorian
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Calorian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:39 am

I had a quick look in the workshop manual, that shows two bolts where its glued as I'd expected. The other bit that doesn't look right is that the throttle return springs anchor to the stainless heat shields which also inst right though the manual picture doesn't make it terribly clear what they should anchor to.
My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:05 am

Dave B has this set up on his 1973 2000 (HS4's replacing the original Strombergs). He may be able to clarify the arrangement / setup.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red