Major refit of my car.

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
Alec
Re: Major refit of my car.

#11 Post by Alec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:58 pm

Hello Mike,

if that's the case I'm puzzled as the box section is much narrower at the pitch of the MK 2 pins and it would be a much simpler construction to pass the pin through the top section. Certainly makes for more work. A quick sketch of what I mean, some script has disappeared in converting the file to PDF though, the two arrows above are where I thought the MK 2 would fit.

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

The welding was a bit of a dilemma, the original looked as though they were either TIG or very fine MIG. Now I have a small D.C. TIG set but while I could get the top easily, the bottom was just too restricted to get the torch into on the back so I brazed them (Oxy/acetylene). Brazing is normally not used on car bodies (with a few exceptions) but I'm happy that I got a good joint. Welding the bits I'd cut in the box section was a little awkward also, crouched in the boot to do the horizontal sections. Not a job I'd want to often do.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Alec,

I was thinking about the welding around the spring mounts, but it all looks good. I didn't think it looked like MiG!

I have seen brazing on the big saloon bodies. Front wing upper part (near the windscreen) and around the tailgate on estates I think. Certainly the latter has a lot of lead loading.

I think the Mk2 saloon is different in the diff pin area. It's a long time since I had the tank out, welding there on the 2000, but it seemed much simpler that the Mk1/estate. I shall have to have a closer look sometime.

When's the projected finish date? :wink:

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Alec

#13 Post by Alec » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Hello Mike,

yes the spring mounts are done with gas, as is the rest of what I generally weld. I've been using gas for a very long time and find it a good process, albeit not particularly cheap. However it is versatile and probably the best all round process as I can weld, braze and even solder, e.g. for radiator repairs and also cut heavy sections.

I don't actually have a timetable due to other commitments but hoping for the end of the year?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Jonathan Lewis

#14 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 am

Mike Stevens wrote:I have seen brazing on the big saloon bodies. Front wing upper part (near the windscreen) and around the tailgate on estates I think.
Also the corners of the boot aperture drainage channel on some Mk2 saloons and Dolomites where the rear wings meet the windscreen panel and roof pillars. I've always assumed that it was a means of sealing a welded joint in place of lead loading, though I was once told by someone who had restored a couple of Stags that he'd found quite a bit of what appeared to be factory-original brazing in the rear wing area of those cars.

Can only echo others' comments about what looks like an excellent job of welding, Alec :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Alec,

When I started car body welding I did consider gas (and had done a few years of evening classes to be taught how to), but I found the heat distortion more of a problem than with MiG and generally that MiG was easier to do. Gas of course has many other uses as you say, but I decided to stick with MiG and got the equipment accordingly.

To be honest, they really compliment each other in various ways and it was a shame I had to choose one over the other!

Good luck with the end of the year date. I always find that the date slips but I'm sure you'll make it. I think the only time I've actually made it in time was with the restoration of my Stag in time for my eldest son's wedding. I got the MoT 7 days beforehand!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)