my Pi off for resto

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
dallliiisss
Re: my Pi off for resto

#71 Post by dallliiisss » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Hello,
I assembled and fitted a Macpherson Strut to one side of Pi today. I would have done both but I left a Strut insert at home :roll:
Here's the side completed:

A nice little job to do as well. I also gave the spring and Strut housing a rub over with a rotory brush, and painted them with Hammerite black. They were very crusty, so I didn't get a smooth finish but the overall effect is quite pleasing :)
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

Forkie

#72 Post by Forkie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Nice job as always,Lee! Can you tell me,did you fit spring compressors before or after strut removal? The ones i have are to chunky,to fit anywhere near opposite anyhow.Guy down the road reckons he fiitted them after removal on his Stag,ie removed the three turret nuts,then fitted comps whilst on the bench prior to removal of the large center nut.I know i've brought this up before but thought i'd ask someone fresh from doing it! Also,what did you use to reseal to the turret - i assume 'Telseal' strip is no longer available.Thanks in advance!
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

dallliiisss

#73 Post by dallliiisss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:11 am

Forkie wrote:Nice job as always,Lee! Can you tell me,did you fit spring compressors before or after strut removal? The ones i have are to chunky,to fit anywhere near opposite anyhow.Guy down the road reckons he fiitted them after removal on his Stag,ie removed the three turret nuts,then fitted comps whilst on the bench prior to removal of the large center nut.I know i've brought this up before but thought i'd ask someone fresh from doing it! Also,what did you use to reseal to the turret - i assume 'Telseal' strip is no longer available.Thanks in advance!
Hello Forkie,
I fitted the spring compressors after removal from Pi. But I slackened off the main centre bolt a little (but not too much) before jacking car and then jacking and removing the strut assembly from car. Once the strut is off the car you can fit spring compressors, compress spring, and undo the main centre nut completely.

To re-seal the turret if you can't re-use your old one (you should be able to), I used some silicone sealant on one side (lost the old one :roll: ). I'm guessing it's not ideal but should give a fairly good seal and cushioning effect.
I hope this helps.
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

CAR

#74 Post by CAR » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 am

Decent caravan dealers do the grey sealent used in caravan manufacture on a roll, as well as in a traditional cartridge. It's just a type of bedding mastic, doesn't dry out or go hard.

Cheers Colin.
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Forkie

#75 Post by Forkie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks for that Lee,saves me worrying about tracing ultra thin compressors down :lol: Nice tip Colin.I must admit though,i never envisaged being able to reuse the strip...perhaps all will be more apparent when i get round to stripping out. Cheers.
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

dallliiisss

#76 Post by dallliiisss » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Hello,
I've done a bit more to Pi yesterday.
I managed to fit new Track rod ends:

The old Track rods didn't take too much to remove. A few turns on the Splitter and they were off. I wouldn't mind betting that they were the originals.

And remove Brake Calipers:

Also remove Radiator:

Both away for refurb. So I thought I'd do a bit of detailing while the front is up on axle stands:
So far with a bit of paint and a brush it brightens up the suspension really well I think.
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#77 Post by dallliiisss » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 pm

Hello,
I have removed all old brake pipes from Pi today and fitted new ones. I've decided to fit copper ones as these are easier to bend. I did dither on changing pipes that didn't need changing, but this would've looked odd to keep them on alongside new pipes.

Here's a photo of them fitted to dirty engine compartment of Pi:

I have also fitted a new brake-light-switch, as my old one wasn't any use. I had to modify the new one as it was a few mils short :roll:

While the front end is up in the air (waiting for rad and calipers) I gave the wheels a bit of a clean and got a pair of new tyres for them. I decided to go for the same tyre type as I have fitted to my 2000. They're a 175/80X13 which have a nice period look to them and a clean sidewalls also. These tyres are T rated which is good for up to 118mph. I dont think I will go much above 60 :lol:

I was pleased also with the cost of these tyres, at £36 each, valve, balanced and fitted I thought very good value for money in these prohibitive plutocratic times.
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

Umquat

#78 Post by Umquat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:12 pm

As a aside to all the excellent resto work you've shown us, im intrigued by the angle of your after market spin on oil filter adaptor. I recently had an oil change done by my local garage. Something I would normally do myself, but as I've never done it before, I had no idea what filter was fitted,so thought I'd give them the agro or sourcing a new one and then they could give me the filter number / type for next time!

Anyway back to the angle. Mine points downwards at an angle of about 45 degrees, but I see yours is slightly above horizontal. I just wondered whether thats the orientation they are supposed to be at or, whether it really doesnt matter how they are orientated.

Regards

Gavin
1983 Saab 99GL
1971 1300 Beetle last on road in 1986 (rehoused but still waiting for resto)

No Triumph's as of 11/08/09 - :cry:

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#79 Post by Mike Stevens » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi Gavin,

Not seen much from you on here recently - things must be going OK!

I've fitted a number of the spin-on filters and always have them hanging down as you describe. There can be an issue with chassis clearance but usually they are OK.

Colin - after that superb paint job, I'm surprised to see a spanner (and hose clips!) on the heater air grill!

You are doing a fine job and making us (me anyway) envious with all the progress.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Umquat

#80 Post by Umquat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:12 pm

Yeah, I havent had a lot to report really. After the heavy welding sessions to the floor pan and offside C pillar I havent really done a huge amount. The car is in need of a couple of other areas welding before the next MOT, and a fair amount of cosmetic tidying to the front arches and valance (although the valance rust appears to be due to a poorly applied skim coat of filler that water has got behind). What Im tending to find is I'll get a big blister that when pressed weeps water, but once the offending filler is removed there is fresh clean metal behind (that then rusts cos its got to the atmosphere!!).

Hopefully as long as it behaves itself and gets through the MOT at the end of April, then I'll tackle these areas during the summer months in the evenings. I guess thats the price you pay for running them as a daily driver in all weathers.

Regards

Gavin
1983 Saab 99GL
1971 1300 Beetle last on road in 1986 (rehoused but still waiting for resto)

No Triumph's as of 11/08/09 - :cry: