my Pi off for resto

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
dallliiisss
Re: my Pi off for resto

#91 Post by dallliiisss » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:43 pm

jason41165 wrote:hi have you got any spare injectors that are good. willing to pay for them. desperate to get my white 25pi on the road to recovery
Hello Jason.
I haven't got any spare injectors. I guess they must be hard to get nowdays, in any condition.

I dont think the recon ones are too expensive are they?
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#92 Post by dallliiisss » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello to all.
After a few problems in getting my Pi to run with a Bosch pump conversion, I decided to get on to Prestige Injection and have a chat with Malcolm. The main problem was a lack of fuel pressure. And the PRV wasn't too keen on running as it should with the Bosch pump. We believe that it wasn't working at all, as it was by-passing all the fuel back to the Tank :(

But Prestige came to the rescue and supplied me with an all new PRV that will run with all Bosch conversions. It is a different beast altogether from the Lucas PRV. It's similar in appearance to a more modern Fuel Pressure Regulator, and it is more suited to operate with the Bosch Pump:

I hope to do some road testing in the next few days (weather permitting) to test the car, as I haven't yet driven my Pi anymore than a few hundred yards. But more importantly I would like to see how the Bosch set-up performs. I'd like to think it will only need a few minor adjustments here and there.

I fitted some new seat belts recently, which I bought from Rimmer Bros. They're new old stock, and very nice and neat indeed. I just love the boxes they came in. Take a look:

They're cheap too, £25 a pair :D
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

Forkie

#93 Post by Forkie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Thats a lot for a couple of old boxes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#94 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am

dallliiisss wrote:Hello to all.
After a few problems in getting my Pi to run with a Bosch pump conversion, I decided to get on to Prestige Injection and have a chat with Malcolm. The main problem was a lack of fuel pressure. And the PRV wasn't too keen on running as it should with the Bosch pump. We believe that it wasn't working at all, as it was by-passing all the fuel back to the Tank :(

I fitted some new seat belts recently, which I bought from Rimmer Bros. They're new old stock, and very nice and neat indeed. I just love the boxes they came in. Take a look:

They're cheap too, £25 a pair :D
Interesting about the Bosch pump. The PI I have has a Bosch pump with standard Triumph PRV. We ran it for many years with no problems - well not on that score anyway! The car is soon to be scrapped as it's really too far gone. (No, you can't have any of the bits, I need them for the 'next project' - hopefully more info soon!)

Were these seat belts front or rear? Sorry - I can't see the pictures while at work, I think they are stopped by our IT police.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

dallliiisss

#95 Post by dallliiisss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 am

Mike Stevens wrote:
Interesting about the Bosch pump. The PI I have has a Bosch pump with standard Triumph PRV. We ran it for many years with no problems - well not on that score anyway! The car is soon to be scrapped as it's really too far gone. (No, you can't have any of the bits, I need them for the 'next project' - hopefully more info soon!)

Were these seat belts front or rear? Sorry - I can't see the pictures while at work, I think they are stopped by our IT police.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hello Mike.
Well, I now know why my standard Lucas PRV never ran properly with the Bosch pump :oops:
It appears that when I cleaned out the fuel tank some months ago, It (the rust) decided to come back with a vengance and guess what? It blocked the fuel line from Tank to Filter. It ran quiet well with the new PRV, but still not enough fuel supply from the Tank to run satisfactory. I removed the fuel tank today to find it in a disgusting state, with more groud rust found in the filter and remaining petrol. So after 20 years the fuel tank needed more than just a clean.
So today I sent it off to be re-furbished. Hopefully that will solve the mystery fuel supply problem.
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#96 Post by dallliiisss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Mike Stevens wrote:

Cheers,
Mike.
Sorry Mike. With all the excitment of me realizing my problem, I forgot to answer your question.

Yes they're a front pair. I think they're excellent value for genuine new old stock, and they look very good indeed :D
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#97 Post by dallliiisss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Hello.
I thought i'd tidy up the Injection equipment..again..As I wasn't that keen on fuel hoses going everywhere in the boot, as it would seem unecessary anyway having found out the main cause of the problem.

I've managed to store the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, PRV, and Billet Filter all in one place, as was originally intended:

I've positioned the new PRV so that adjustment can be made, as I have deviated from the original setting. It's a little easier on the new PRV because you can adjust it with out removing return pipe

I hope also to do something with the gearbox oil cooler, as it's very tired looking, and renew the connecting pipes as well :D
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#98 Post by dallliiisss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:48 pm

Hello.
I had a look at my gearbox cooler today, and it appears to be ok, and I have a good clean flow of ATF. It's just looks a bit rough with some of the air probes missing. I replaced the two connecting pipes though as they were quite perished:

I also replaced the right hand Hand Brake Adjuster Lever, which I accidentally broke. After many impatiant sessions working on these Drum Brakes, I can safely say that they're a doddle to work on now that I know a few tricks :wink:
Anyway, I had to copper grease the Brake Lever Elbow (Alan Chatterton's tip) on both sides, as I forgot to do this down at Garies. Handbrake is now very good indeed :D
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#99 Post by dallliiisss » Sat May 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Hello to All.
I have at long last received my Fuel tank back from the repairers. It was quite a problem breaking down all the rust inside, but a major improvment from before:

And after Acid clean:

Not mint, but a big improvement showing signs of slight rust residue, which shouldn't be a major problem providing I change the pre-pump Billet filter, which is clearly inadequate in size, with the slightest of dirt/rust etc stopping fuel flow. I think I will have to source a bigger nylon filter, probably from a commercial manufacturer.

One other problem was small pieces of rubber found in the old PRV. As this is post filter I would presume the pieces of rubber have come from the Pump to PRV hose. So I bought a new one from Rimmer bros at a small cost which irons out any doubts of suspect rubber fuel hoses:

With a few more little things to do, plus a lot of road testing, it should be ready for an MOT in a week or two.
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon

dallliiisss

#100 Post by dallliiisss » Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 am

Hello to All.
After a few hours spent road testing my Pi I thought it might be a good idea to take it for an MOT to see what I've missed or fitted wrong etc.. Oh dear, I had to stop every five miles or so to unblock the fuel tank- to-filter line, which, as I didn't have a compressor in the boot I had to blow in to, to clear and then continue for a few more miles. With this perpetual fuel supply problem driving my PI has been a bit of a bind.

But hopefully it will clear, at some stage this year :roll:

At the test center, my PI was well received, but:
1. No hand-brake effort at all from the off-side rear :oops: So much for being sure about drum brakes :roll:

2. Brake pipe lines need securing (more clips)

3. Rear subframe outer bushes shot.

4. Front springs knackered.

And 5. Fuel line rubbing on half shaft :oops: Lucky to get to test center at all...

But on the upside, it drives very very well indeed, pulls amazingly strongly, with no signs of pinking. Problems aside, it's my favourite classic car experience. :D

Time to get some more parts, and get it ready for a free re-test, if i'm quick..
Lee Smart
1971 2.5 PI saloon