Autobox queries - kickdown cable slack

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Forkie
Re: Autobox queries - kickdown cable slack

#21 Post by Forkie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:48 pm

As an add on to that - i did try the 'foot off' approach today as well - nothing happened.....
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Forkie

#22 Post by Forkie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:25 pm

So further to last night's post - i may have found my problem. As i seem to of been barking up the wrong tree- thinking it is not hitting top when it actually is - today i find out the range in D on light acceleration for 1-2 is 6mph - 10 mph - and 2 - 3 is 11 mph - 17 mph. Mine is within those speeds - so it is changing up when it is supposed to. Ok, that's great.
So why am i getting no speed/ acceleration i ask myself. Back to the book... there it is ,staring me in the face in black and white under Converter Diagnosis - ' Poor acceleration in third gear above 30 mph and reduced maximum speed , indicates that the stator uni-directional clutch has seized."
Sadly , that now describes my symptoms to a tee, whatever and wherever that is in the 'box. Does anyone know anything about that part, as in is that a 'box out job.
Regards, Nige
Member Number 7392 04/07

Charles H

#23 Post by Charles H » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 am

Sadly that appears to be a box dismantle job from looking at the manual. No experience on my part, someone else may come along that knows. Dave Harvey probably you man.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Forkie

#24 Post by Forkie » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:00 pm

Hi Charles
That was the one answer i was not hoping for, but was kind of expecting,as i knew right from the initial test run something just did not feel right with the 'box. I know most throw this 'box of useless bits ' (in most peoples opinion) away and fit MOD but i really like it, and is original to the car so i feel compelled to stick with it.
Yes i was hoping to hear a little more from 'Harvey' but i have not so i am a little unsure which route to take for now - will admit i am a tad gutted as i have waited a long time to get behind the wheel again,which i am enjoying, but i do not wish to further damage the 'box by X number of test drives.
My nearest Auto Trans outfit that i trust is circa 60 miles away, so that is another recovery job. I think i will have to sit on it for a day or two, see if any other replies come in on here, speak to my tech guy, ring the A.T. outfit etc etc..... :|
Member Number 7392 04/07

Charles H

#25 Post by Charles H » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:58 am

Dave Harvey occasionally gets on here, but is always on the dreaded Facebook. IF you do FB, maybe give him a PM, or see if you have a close friend or neighbour that can do so on your behalf. He will know what to do, it could be carry on and it unsticks! Here's hoping!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Forkie

#26 Post by Forkie » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:10 pm

Hi Charles,
Yes, i'm hoping too !!!! Well i had sent 'Harvey' ( i assume Harvey as he is known on the forums, is the same chap you have mentioned - Dave Harvey - as i assumed Harvey was his first name, not surname!?!?) a PM through here a couple weeks back, he did reply several days later,to which i sent another then nothing...
Anyway on your advice ,the good lady of the house uses fb so this evening i recited a message to him re the wife, so i will have to wait what i get back.
Main thing for me right now is can i keep it local, around town so to speak so do not go above circa 30 - 35 mph just to keep the car in use - or is it a 'do not drive' scenario, for fear of further damage....
It has cost a bit of a wad in the last month to get this far and back on the road - i know it does need the 'box out at somepoint to replace the ring gear / renew all the gaskets and seals and a general checkover whilst out but i was hoping to have a little breather first :roll:
Regards,Nige.
Member Number 7392 04/07