Autobox queries - kickdown cable slack

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Forkie
Re: Autobox queries - kickdown cable slack

#11 Post by Forkie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:37 pm

My crimp though has def not been moved since i have owned the car. Fine before I stripped it all out. I know it is something that I have done for sure !!!! Cannot blame anyone but myself for this one :(
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Forkie

#12 Post by Forkie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:49 pm

Simon - I just sent a lengthy reply to you but for some reason it did not appear here. Basically the crimp is still there - I removed the carbs/manifolds etc to replace the all too overlooked water return pipe that runs underneath all that lot - my fading memory now recalls I was planning to take the car to the then go to Trans guru for a re set up - which never happened. I adjusted the cable yesterday to take up some of the slack. it was either not enough, or i have bigger issues.
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#13 Post by Forkie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:13 pm

Ok - been a bit of a mission to get these up but here are a few pics, taken as best we can of the kickdown cable as it is now - bit awkward to get a good side on view - too much in the way !! This is how it sits now, so that is AFTER I have taken up some slack - but intend to have another go, as it still seems slack....Hope this gives some idea of where the cable and the crimp lies.....
Attachments
20230115_115957.jpg
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#14 Post by Forkie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:15 pm

20230115_120126.jpg
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#15 Post by Forkie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:15 pm

20230115_120853.jpg
Member Number 7392 04/07

SimonR

#16 Post by SimonR » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:49 pm

That's a good shot,clearly shows the gap between the crimp and the outer cable threaded end, looks like there is a bit more adjustment needed to take out the slack so that the crimped stop meets the outer cable.

Forkie

#17 Post by Forkie » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:21 pm

Thank you Simon - I imagine you appreciate just how difficult that shot was to take :lol: It took 4 hands, 2 torches, 1 phone, 1 ambidextrous wife, LOADS of **********, Divorce Lawyers on speed dial ..... :lol:
So the latest is..... that pic was taken last night ( Sunday). That was AFTER I had adjusted some of the slack out from the initial drive - when i realised i was not hitting top gear - so the setting you see there is how I drove it on the second run around town last Friday, but again still did not feel I was getting top gear.
Went back out this evening to pull more of the threaded tube ' up through the bracket' to, in effect, take up some more slack, which to me made sense. But all that did was widened the gap between the end of the threaded tube, and the crimp :?: HUH?
So I have now altered the threaded tube ( outer) BACK DOWN to give the position of the crimp being just shy of the said threaded tube ( hope that makes sense) . But the remaining cable now still feels slack :roll:
I do think I am banging head to wall on this now - Iv'e got the gearbox oil,got the pan gaskets - I just think it needs to go back to the workshop as planned, start from scratch with the SU's as suggested, drop the 'box pan and set the cable up from there....
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#18 Post by Forkie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:19 pm

So as this is my biggest issue for now, i am researching as much info as possible. Picking up on previous conversations in the past on this - albeit 10-12 years ago, on Rover forums, and mainly with 'Harvey' who seems to be 'the guy' on BW 35s - how much from the Rover forum applies to this one - assume big differences ,due to the engines and accelerator systems being different. For instance, i was not aware until reading up on the above that 'on taking the foot off the throttle a forced change up could be met, although not ideal'. I did not know that. As i am hoping to take her out for number 3 trial tomorrow, (Sat) - would this theory apply to the Triumph ?
Member Number 7392 04/07

Dave B

#19 Post by Dave B » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:33 pm

Forkie wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:19 pm
For instance, i was not aware until reading up on the above that 'on taking the foot off the throttle a forced change up could be met, although not ideal'. I did not know that. As i am hoping to take her out for number 3 trial tomorrow, (Sat) - would this theory apply to the Triumph ?
That was certainly the case with my (since sold) 2000 auto. You could be in 'D' at fairly high revs in 2nd gear, say going uphill, take your foot for a bend and the bloody thing would change into top gear, not exactly what you wanted!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Forkie

#20 Post by Forkie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 pm

MMMM see i don't remember mine being anything like that, and that sounds a bit freakish.
Well me and the lad took it out again today as it was an unusually decent day.
I can report after several take offs in D that two gear changes are heard / felt. So it is hitting top gear, it is just that quiet and smooth it is barely detectable - a world away from the massive clunking etc ways of changing gear all those years ago !
But after having a proper listen and watching the standard Smiths speedo speed - it is hitting 2nd circa 8mph and 3rd (top ) circa 13 mph. Engine is gutless, as in no top end. Any form of incline - no hope. So from that i assume pressure in the box is too low....
Member Number 7392 04/07