Check those half shaft nuts !

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
70s man
Groupie
Groupie

#1 Post by 70s man » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:10 am

Just a bit of a warning really, I saw an article recently where a mk 2 owner had dropped out his half shafts for some reason and when he came round to replacing them, he used the old nuts.
After a while, the nuts became so loose that  eventually,the bolts were able to move around freely resulting in damage to the half shaft to the extent drive was lost and the half shaft or part of the diff\' was completely ruined.
Remembering with horror I\'d done the same thing about 3 months ago whilst renewing my rear supension arm bushes, I decided to check the bolts on my half shafts, and, sure enough, although they weren\'t falling off, they were loose.
I bought a new set of 3/8 UNF nyloc nuts and replaced the lot, the cost, about £3, a whole lot cheaper than a new half shaft !
I know what some of you are going to say, you should always replace nuts when you\'ve taken something apart, and I always do when its brakes and / or suspension but now I\'m going to replace with new wherever and whenever I disassemble something.
In the meantime, I suggest anyone who has been as foolish as me gets out and checks theirs - soon !
Paul
70\'s man

Allen Walker

#2 Post by Allen Walker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Paul,<br>Yep, done that myself, well worth replacing nuts in areas like this, especially when subject to so much torque and vibration.<br>Allen<br>

Clifford Pope

#3 Post by Clifford Pope » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 pm

The old Triumph Roadster&nbsp;I had years ago had castellated nuts and split pins on the prop shaft.
I have to say&nbsp;I have only ever replaced nuts and bolts if the flats have become rounded, and nothing has ever come loose, apart from wheel nuts. For some strange reason these vital components never have any means of locking them.
&nbsp;

raceyredcar

#4 Post by raceyredcar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:03 pm

If you buy Nylocs in bulk - say 100 at a time - from a local nut & bolt supplier they are a lot cheaper and work out about 20p each.&nbsp;

Umquat

#5 Post by Umquat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Which nuts are we talking about here? Are you referring to the 6 nylocs that hold the hub bearing carrier to the trailing arm and torqued up to all of 14lb/ft or are you referring to the large nut in the centre of the hub itself?
Regards
Gavin

Allen Walker

#6 Post by Allen Walker » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:59 pm

No, he means the four nuts/bolts that hold the female driveshaft flange on
<br>to the corresponding inner (diff side) half-shaft flange.

sorbs

#7 Post by sorbs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 pm

When I did my driveshafts I renewed all the nyloc nuts on the hubs (6 on each), and all nuts and bolts on the driveshaft flanges for peace of mind.&nbsp; Especially on the hub studs, the new nylocs felt far better that the old ones.
The annual service regime for these cars does include making sure that all propshaft and drive flange bolts are tight.
I was speaking to a chap who runs a garage the other night - he said that it is amazing how many cars come into his workshop with dangerously loose propshaft fixings!&nbsp; he then went on to recount tales of how, when involved in motorsport he\'d seen cars polevaulted and cut open by failed propshafts! - scary stuff.&nbsp; In fact, I think I\'ll have a quick look at mine in a minute........
&nbsp;

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:08 pm

I always found that it was the nylocs on the LH driveshaft that came loose.&nbsp; Must be something to do with the direction of rotation. Checking them all is of course good practice!
Mind you, by the time they get very loose, there is an awful lot of clunking from the back.
Cheers, Mike.<edited><editID>Mike Stevens</editID><editDate>39352.5484953704</editDate></edited>