Flywheel spigot bushing

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
sprint95m
Re: Flywheel spigot bushing

#11 Post by sprint95m » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:02 am

johnnydog wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm
Having just replaced the clutch and spigot bush on my 'S'....
The spigot bush was noticeably oval, so I decided to replace it. The original bush itself was quite a slack fit in the flywheel (as another one was in a spare flywheel I had). I ordered a replacement from Chris Witor, and that was quite a tight fit, and had to be tapped in using the old bush as a drift. It certainly won't rotate in the flywheel.
As for getting the old bush out - there is a lip on the clutch side of the flywheel which stops the bush from coming out. Bill's method won't work on the Triumph flywheel because of this, so the flywheel has to be removed, which is a simple enough job.
Assuming CW's bushes are the correct tolerance fit, then no other method to retain it in position is needed.
These brass bushes are quite tight, however aren't you meant to steep them overnight in oil before fitting?
It makes no mention of doing this in the Triumph manual but I understand it is best to do so.

Ian.
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

Alec

#12 Post by Alec » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am

Hello Ian,

sintered bronze bushes are fitted after soaking but I don't think this bush is sintered.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 pm

The bush is there to support the end of the primary motion shaft in the 'box. Any play there is bad, so if it is between the crank and bush or the bush and shaft is probably irrelevant, as it will be the bush that has worn and so it will need replacing.

I like Bill's method of removing the bush and is the one I usually use! I did use a slide hammer once to do the job which was probably easier and definitely less messy, but it was borrowed and not likely to be available again.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Llessur

#14 Post by Llessur » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Cheers all, have replaced the bushing - I just removed the flywheel and drifted it out using a socket and then used the old bush to drift in the new one. The new bushing is nice and tight in the flywheel and had only negligible play on the input shaft so it seems the job's a good'un. I soaked it overnight in oil before installing as per recommendations.

As per the pic, the old bushing was noticeably oval when compared to the new one, so well overdue a replacement!

I presume it is the mk1 (perhaps early mk2 also?) where the bushing is located in the end of the crank not the flywheel. That looks like a messy affair to remove - other than accidentally upending the container in which I was soaking the new bushing resulting in a small oil spill all over my workbench, this was a nice clean job!
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

johnnydog

#15 Post by johnnydog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 am

Had our 'Drive It Day' on Sunday just gone - the first long run out for the 'S' since its new clutch and spigot bearing. Result - a lovely light smooth pedal, with a mid travel biting point. And no judder! Definitely a Laycock cover with a B&B plate for me every time .....
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red