J Type Overdrive.

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
tony

J Type Overdrive.

#1 Post by tony » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 am

Over the last 18 months I had my gearbox and overdrive overhauled by an "expert" who lives a distance from me. Gearbox good but o/d has never worked since. :shock:
Have acquired a manual from Ebay, taken o/d off gearbox and took it apart.
Think I've found the problem, One O ring on the operating piston was in two pieces. Obviously not replaced last time it was apart.
Fitting the bridge pieces that locate the pistons I find that mine are slightly curved. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or are they meant to be flat?
Thanks.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2003 BMW 525i Touring.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Hopefully don't need bits !

Alec

Re: J Type Overdrive.

#2 Post by Alec » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 am

Hello Tony,

they should be flat but I don't think that slight bend will affect the operation of the overdrive.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.
Jaguar X Type Estate 2.5

tony

#3 Post by tony » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks Alec,
Both mine were bent, must be hydraulic pressure over the years. Found slivers of O ring on top of the piston. Seems like excessive travel may have pushed the piston out a bit allowing the O ring to exit the bore. Can't see any other reason. Mates got a large press so he's getting a visit this morning. :lol:
Tony.
1976 2500 TC.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2003 BMW 525i Touring.

tony

#4 Post by tony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:52 am

Success :roll: :roll:
Recently had a cortisone injection in my knee which makes it a bit more user friendly. Decided to get beneath the 2500 and attempt the removal of the overdrive which a previous 'expert' had a go at. He did fix the gearbox (new bearings etc) but seemed to fail with the o/d. He did the bearings and clutch etc but didn't appear to touch the hydraulics.
As stated previously I acquired a Vauxhall J type overdrive training manual from Ebay. Stripped the hydraulics and replaced all the O rings. One of the big ones (operating piston) was in two pieces. Thought this was the main problem. This proved correct. Took it for a drive this afternoon and it worked, for the first time in 15 months.
Marginably easier to remove the o/d than the whole gearbox but still a lot of hard to get at bolts and nuts. grrr. First time in 20 odd years I've had anything but electrical problems with Mr Laycock's product. :shock: Overall a Happy Easter.
1976 2500 TC.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2003 BMW 525i Touring.