Gearbox swap

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Llessur
Gearbox swap

#1 Post by Llessur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:02 am

The existing non-OD box on my 2500 is stuffed so am planning on swapping it over with a rebuilt OD box I've managed to pick up at some point early next year.

As I'm in Oz and parts are a good couple of weeks' shipping away, I'm trying to put together a list of *anything* that I might need during the job so that I don't have to stop half way through and wait for parts to arrive.

So far I've got:

- New OD box
- Rear gearbox mount (a decent Mackay one)
- Clutch kit
- OD wiring & relay
- OD gear stick and switch
- Speedo cable

I believe the prop is the same between the OD and non-OD boxes so no problems there.

Things I am not too sure about are:

- I understand I'll need longer hanging studs and spacers - can someone give me a part number as I can't find a parts diagram to show these so not sure what to order.
- Any other mounts or mounting bolts I might have trouble with?
- Does the cross member need to come off? If so, am I likely to have problems with these bolts etc? I presume it's worth replacing the bushes?
- Is the speedo cable angle drive different?

What else have I missed?

Cheers all & merry Christmas!
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

Alec

Re: Gearbox swap

#2 Post by Alec » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 am

Hello Llessur,

There are longer studs but I forget whether they are for automatic geraboxes or J type overdrive gearboxes. However all they are are basically two bolts with a strip of steel connecting them at heads so they do not turn when screwing or unscrewing the nuts. They are not fixed to the body and will push out if pressed. Basically something you could make up or get made very easily if you find that longer studs are required?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

johnconradlee

#3 Post by johnconradlee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 am

Depends whether your new box is an A type or J type.
The longer type studs and spacers for the gearbox cross member are definitely required for a J type o/d (not sure about auto boxes as I've never has one!). It's made from 2 stud with a bit of plate tacked between so as Alec says you could easily make some. A type o/d uses the standard short ones.
The bushes for the gearbox cross member will probably need replacing as they're plastic and will likely disintegrate.
From memory I don't think the J type o/d has an angle drive, the cable is attached to the gearbox using a little plate and a bolt, A type o/d cable screws on like the speedometer end an has an angle drive (albeit I have heard of people running the cable through the side of the tunnel and up under the carpet to the speedo to avoid using it one!).
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Llessur

#4 Post by Llessur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Cheers all, have had a play around on various websites and have located the longer studs and spacers for the J-type. They're only a few quid so I'll get some in rather than trying to make my own (note to self: must buy welder).

How about with the clutch replacement? Is there anything there that's likely to cause me grief mid-change? I have the kit so the release bearing is included but what else might go wrong when I'm in there?

Also, does anyone have a link to the parts diagram for the 2500 gearbox mount? I can't seem to find anything on any of the usual parts sites. It would just help to see a visual exploded diagram so I know what I'm ordering...
1977 2500S - White

Alec

#5 Post by Alec » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:44 am

Hello Llessur,

one other thing worth doing is to get a tougher taper pin for the cross shaft (Chris Witor) and replace your existing one. Just make sure the taper is a snug fit in both the shaft and the fork. If that breaks it's a gearbox out job to repair it, so worth making sure that it is good.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Alec

#6 Post by Alec » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 am

Hello Llessur,

I enclose a scan from my parts book.
I note from the page for auto and manual non overdrive is that the auto studs and the overdrive studs have the same part number but the manual is a different part number, which may be th studs you have which will be incorrect? Auto and O/D part number 158537, manual is part number 138491.
Gearbox mount.jpg
Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Charles H

#7 Post by Charles H » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

I am pretty sure that the auto and A type overdrive drop studs are the same. The J type OD ones are longer. The spacer tubes are obviously longer too. All available on CW site!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

atom
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by atom » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Copied directly from Chris Witor site: " Clutch Slave Cylinder Alloy 211061A 7/8" Bore (longer travel than 1") Best use with all aftermarket Clutches 2000 & 2.5".
Want I want to say is that it is always good to have both sizes of slave cylinder available when putting in a new clutch.

Succes!
Onno Zijlstra

2.5 PI Mk2 saloon 1970 - laurel green
Vitesse Mk2 saloon 1969 (under construction) - royal blue
Saab 9 3 Turbo 2000 (daily use) - black

Llessur

#9 Post by Llessur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks everyone for the replies - looks like our first baby might be coming a little earlier than expected so I haven't had much time to look any further in to this or to reply until now. Once all the drama has subsided I'll get right back onto it :D
1977 2500S - White

Llessur

#10 Post by Llessur » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 am

Hi all,

Back again and nearly ready to go forward with this.

Quick question - are the OD and non-OD gear sticks the same other than the hollow tube and knob with the switch? My new OD box did not come with a gear stick so can I just re-use the stick from my non-OD box with a switch elsewhere as a temporary measure pending me sourcing a proper OD stick and switch?

Cheers
1977 2500S - White