Replacing Front Pinion Seal / Rear differntial

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Julian B 1972
Groupie
Groupie
Replacing Front Pinion Seal / Rear differntial

#1 Post by Julian B 1972 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi,

my 1971 Triumph 2000 rather sadly dumped a load of oil on my drive a couple of nights ago. On close inspection the oil was coming from the rear and was sourced to the Front Pinion Seal, just ahead of the diff.

Can anyone advise what needs to be removed to replace this, how long it should take and which replacement part is recomended? I see there are a few options on the market. - just want to make sure the garage is clear on what is and isn't involved.

Also, I've assumed the car should not be used until its fixed so have banished it to the barn until further notice!

and just as the sun us coming out!

As always thanks in advance

Julian

Alan Chatterton

Re: Replacing Front Pinion Seal / Rear differntial

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri May 15, 2015 3:58 pm

You need to remove the diff and replace the pinion seal. Source from Chris Witor.
At the same time, it is likely that this oil will have washed the grease out of the diff nosepiece bearing (in the housing between the diff and the prop coupling.
Consider replacing this bearing to make sure.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Julian B 1972
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Julian B 1972 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks Alan. Much obliged.

BTW love the look of the Del-Lines estate.

Julian

Alan Chatterton

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri May 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Thank you, it's been over 5 years in the making, almost done!
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 am

You can do this with the diff in-situ, but I agree with Alan, it's a lot easier out of the car.

Remove diff. Undo 4 bolts at the front and remove diff extension. The oil seal is now in view, just inside the diff casing. Replace with a good leather one (CW has them).

While the nose piece is off, undo the nut holding the drive flange on. You'll need to make a tool to hold the flange still (bit of angle iron with 2 bolts works for me!). Under there is the bearing held in with a circlip each side. Remove outer circlip and drive the whole shaft forward to get the bearing out. Tap the new bearing into place, fit the circlip and then, as all the good books say, "replacement is the reverse of removal"!

While out, I strongly recommend considering having the nose piece strengthened if not already done so. See my posting on here about a month ago about the one on my Stag that cracked!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Julian B 1972
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by Julian B 1972 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks Mike,

the work will be carried out at my local garage, who are well versed in older cars and whom I've a good working relationship with - The triumph has been going here for 7 years. On confirming this last week the garage asked for 'expert' (ie you guys) advice on the best way to do this. Baring in mind it is being carried out at a garage is it then fair to suggest they attempt this with the diff in situ or not? -Is it really as broad as its long in terms of difficulty/time? As I'm not doing the work myself this would be the deciding factor, asuuming the two approaches are possible.
Incidently are there any other consumables worth replacing if we go down the diff-off route?

Finally is there only one part type to order?

Thanks and apologies for all the questions!

Julian

Julian B 1972
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Julian B 1972 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 pm

This seems to be it...

Diff Nose Pinion Oil Seal 137346L Steel Cased Leather Lipped as Original (Chris Witor)

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue May 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Yup, they seem to be the bits. Chris should have the bearing too. I now need to get another one as I used the one I had sorting the Stag diff.

I've known my local garage (when I used to go there) replace the bearing with it all in the car, but an oil seal replacement needs the 2 bits to be separated. That can be done on the car, but I think it's easier off. I did it on my Stag a few weeks ago with it up on stands with me on my back. With a lift and transmission jack, it's a lot easier and saves a lot of fiddling about.

Do consider the reinforcing bit. I was a bit sceptical about that - until it happened on the Stag!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)