Identifying a transmission

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
GLarsen

Identifying a transmission

#1 Post by GLarsen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi guys

Can anyone identify this transmission for me ?

I know it's a crappy pic but it was the best I could do at the time, reaching in over other parts with my phone and snapping a quick pic

Seller thought it came out of a TR6 but I've been told it isn't, that all TR6 transmissions had an integrated bell housing (learn something new all the time). In the not downsized pic I can barely read what seems to be "STANDARD" on the top cover and from what other info I got from the seller I'm leaning towards this being a transmission out of a 2.5 PI Saloon ?

Based on the engine number provided to me by the seller you guys determined the engine in question probably came from a 2.5 PI so I'm wondering if the transmission came from the same car. All of this was used in a hybrid Spit/GT6/TR6 project and the seller will only sell engine and transmission together and I'm not ready to shell out money for something totally unknown even if I'm interested in the engine

This is for my TR6 project btw so if it really is a Saloon transmission there will be one for sale soon
Attachments
Transmission2.jpg

leesellars

Re: Identifying a transmission

#2 Post by leesellars » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 pm

It's not a TR6 and its not a saloon one either.

Lee
Triumph Mk2 PI 1975
Triumph TR6 PI 1973

GLarsen

#3 Post by GLarsen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Wow that was quick

Bugger, but from your sig I guess you would now 8) , thx

So what then, GT6, Spitfire ?

It looked like an OD unit on the end there and with the "STANDARD" stamping on top I assume it came out of some kind of Triumph ...... my problem is that I'm all new to Triumphs and I don't even know which transmissions can be bolted up to which engines so I'm basically clueless

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:57 pm

I would say it's from a Herald/Spitfire/Vitesse/GT6. Or even Dolomite etc (but not Sprint, they used a saloon type box). The top certainly looks like the one in my Herald.

As it has an overdrive it's unlikely to be Herald. Can you see the serial number? The first 2 digits, usually letters will tell you what it came from.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

GLarsen

#5 Post by GLarsen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Thx, I was afraid of that and no I can't make out anything else.

Using a box from a less powerful engine doesn't make sense, even as a spare. After it was pointed out that it was neither a TR box nor a Saloon box I had a faint hope that someone would say "hey, that's the highly desirable and fairly rare manual box out of a Stag that all the hot rod'ers wants because it's incredibly strong and it bolts right up to the 6 using the bell housing from xxxxx" but I guess that would have been a bit too much (I don't even know if the box from a Stag is desirable)

Oh well, once again I've gotten some very useful input from this site even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, thx guys

owen1183

#6 Post by owen1183 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:34 am

Definatley out of one of the smaller cars.....
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Stag, big saloon, TR6 and Sprint boxes are all much the same with minor differences in gear ratios, layshaft thrusts, input splines etc. Externally they look very similar.

I wouldn't give up all hope. A small saloon box with overdrive could well be sought after by the small saloon boys. It's a reasonably common mod to a Herald for example to increase the overall gearing. But of course, it's a matter of getting it known about in the right places!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Charles H

#8 Post by Charles H » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:47 pm

I would say that it is either a late Spitfire Mk4 or GT6 three rail box with the D type OD. Quite sought after!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40

Richard B

#9 Post by Richard B » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 am

If it was attached to a 6 pot engine, I would say it's a GT6 (or maybe Vitesse) box.

If it is a GT6 box then should be a 1" input shaft same as a 2000/2.5 however the box is weaker than the generic big boxes as fitted to Stag, TR, 2000, 2.5 & Sprint.

Ask me how I know :cry:

Should be able to sell it on for a few shekals...
Richard
Compulsive PI'er :)
MkI PI Saloon, MkII PI Saloon (stalled Restoration), MkI PI Estate, MkIII Spitfire (2500PI), Stag
oh, and bought a TR250

Daughters have Heralds and a Dolomite. Son-in-laws have 2.5's

GLarsen

#10 Post by GLarsen » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:42 am

Richard B wrote:If it was attached to a 6 pot engine, I would say it's a GT6 (or maybe Vitesse) box.
It was but the engine was from a 2.5 PI according to the engine number I posted here a while back. The GT6 would still make sense as this was a Spit/GT6 hybrid when it was in one piece

I'm sure the box is worth something since it's an OD unit I just wish he would sell me the engine as finding a decent core around here hasn't been easy since I don't know any Triumph people around here