Kienzle time clocks which went in what?

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
johnnydog
Re: Kienzle time clocks which went in what?

#11 Post by johnnydog » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:54 pm

GrahamF wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:53 pm
johnnydog wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:55 am
The spares I have are all from previously scrapped models of these ranges.
Does that include any that don't work?

Now I have the tools and spares, I can fix most of the clockwork ones. Some models aren't worth much even fixed, but some are worth repairing.

The transistorized electromagnetic ones are more difficult, and the best I can do is sometimes make one that works from three or four that don't. But because I think they are crap, I don't much like to sell the ones I can get working. So they mostly get stripped for spares for the similar looking clockwork ones - and twice now parts to convert a later Kienzle quartz clock to look like an early Dolomite one (pics 1&2 above). I'm currently working on a quartz clock that will look like the one in picture 5, but will actually keep time to a few minutes a year.

Graham

As far as I'm aware, all the clocks I have do work, but some will be from scrapped cars that are untested.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

GrahamF
Groupie
Groupie

#12 Post by GrahamF » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:28 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:54 pm
As far as I'm aware, all the clocks I have do work, but some will be from scrapped cars that are untested.
You know about the internal, thermal fuse in almost all* the Kienzle remontoire clockwork ones?

It's a low temperature melting rivet next to the solenoid the winds the remontoire spring (which then drives the clockwork). The rivet holds a sprung arm that feeds the solenoid when the points close every couple of minutes. A lot of these fuses have not exactly melted, but appear to have fallen apart. When the clock can look perfect, but won't go clunk and run.

I suspect the problem comes from when the battery goes flat while attached to the car. At some voltage, well below 12v, the solenoid won't kick the points hard enough for them to open and whatever charge is left in the battery all runs out through the solenoid. That may not heat the infernal thermal fuse up enough to melt it - there are some suggestions it should have a melting temperature of about 90C. However, while it doesn't actually melt it, it may be enough to increase the brittleness a bit. Eventually the rivet falls apart and the clock just stops. Here's a picture of one that was just about to go, the closest I've seen on a clock that was working. It fell off when I barely touched it with a screwdriver. For scale, the thread in the bottom left is a shade bigger than M2.5 - I assume it's UNC 3-48, but I've never needed to buy new ones.
DSCF6354-1.jpg
So I reckon it's not safe to assume any of these clockwork Kienzle ones work. Indeed, when I see them on eBay and the like, if it says untested, I assume it needs that fuse fixing: I solder them up with normal temperature stuff, and fit an inline fuse holder outside the case - who wants a fuse inside something where there's no access; we'll, that is, except for a clever manufacturer that wants them to fail sometime, but not too soon, after the guarantee's run-out.

*The only ones I've seen without the fuse, are some of the model 8015 clocks I've been told came out of Jaguars.
1971 Herald 1360 - with much Mk4 Spitfire underneath
1973 Black and Mimosa Dolomite Sprint - No 2065 out of the first 2000
1977 TR7 Sprint - one of the 60 built to re-homologate the 16-valve head for Group-4 rallying after the FIA dropped the 100-off rule

Clifford Pope

#13 Post by Clifford Pope » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:00 pm

Now you have fully mastered all the varieties of the round Mk 2 clocks you can start on the oblong Mark 1's :)

GrahamF
Groupie
Groupie

#14 Post by GrahamF » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:00 pm
Now you have fully mastered all the varieties of the round Mk 2 clocks you can start on the oblong Mark 1's :)
I did take one of the rectangular Smiths clocks apart once. I'm not intending to try that again.

At least as difficult to fix as the Kienzle electromagnetic escapement clocks, and no spares in them that I can use elsewhere.

Graham
1977 TR7 Sprint - one of the 60 built to re-homologate the 16-valve head for Group-4 rallying after the FIA dropped the 100-off rule

Charles H

#15 Post by Charles H » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:49 am

Have you done one of the early pre facelift Mk2 Smiths round clock? the one with the hand adjuster at the bottom left.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

GrahamF
Groupie
Groupie

#16 Post by GrahamF » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:39 pm

Charles H wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:49 am
Have you done one of the early pre facelift Mk2 Smiths round clock? the one with the hand adjuster at the bottom left.
No, I've never had one. I only had a look at a couple of rectangular ones because they came in a job lot with some faulty Kienzle ones. I didn't get very far with them before I gave-up for not having the specific tools - I've mandrels and hand-pullers and such, all made to suit the Kienzles, and I'd have to start that process afresh for the Smiths ones.

Graham

Charles H

#17 Post by Charles H » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:53 am

I have dismantled the Smiths ones. It all comes apart pretty easily by removing the bezel. These are my prefered clocks, and they seem to work a lot longer than the Kienzle ones. No idea about the inside really, but they go clonk and that winds it. It then appears to be a mechanical clockwork mechanism.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40

GrahamF
Groupie
Groupie

#18 Post by GrahamF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Charles H wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:53 am
I have dismantled the Smiths ones. It all comes apart pretty easily by removing the bezel. These are my preferred clocks, and they seem to work a lot longer than the Kienzle ones. No idea about the inside really, but they go clonk and that winds it. It then appears to be a mechanical clockwork mechanism.
I find the early Kienzle, two-handed clockwork ones are quite good, apart from the infernal fuse. The later, three-handed clockwork ones are a bit plastic, and have the same fuse problem, and I sometimes have much trouble getting them to run reliably. The electromagnetic ones are just bad. The quartz one always work except when I broke the first one I had getting in to fix the hands. I have one of those that has been converted to look like an earlier clockwork one on eBay at the moment.

But if I do get a clockwork Smiths' one, I'll have a look inside.

Graham

GrahamF
Groupie
Groupie

#19 Post by GrahamF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:33 pm

Looks like I forgot to mention that the two rectangular Smiths' ones I already looked inside were both electromagnetic, with an oscillating armature instead of a balance wheel and mainspring, etc. They were a bit like the mechanism in the middle period Kienzle clocks, but I don't remember any transistors.

Graham

Charles H

#20 Post by Charles H » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:32 pm

I have three of these, one beyond repair in bits, one in the car that occasionally works and another inoperative (from memory). Would you like to have a go at making one (or two) out of these if i send them all to you to see if you can get one to work. Happy to pay costs. PM me if interested.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40