Electric aerial

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
iani
Electric aerial

#1 Post by iani » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:35 pm

I've searched for posts on aerial installation and I get the principle of using the hole on the inner wing for access. My car has a manual aerial fitted to the O/S wing, I would far rather have an electronic one however. Can anyone recommend a currently available electric aerial that can be fitted in this location? I know you can get some that have the motor separate from the aerial stalk itself but I'm concerned the radius might be too tight in the limited space available.

Ian
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Electric aerial

#2 Post by Firewatcher » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:21 pm

I gave up on the wing mounted ones, after seeing one electric and a couple of manual ones snap off. My roof ariel has lasted many years and still going strong, but one alternative might be the rubber version which can be wing or roof mounted. incarmusic.co.uk have one about £20. I have just put a 20 year old Blaupunkt Car 300 Radio/Cassette in my wagon, reception is brilliant even with the simple 6" loop I used to test it . Much better receiver than the 1970s Panasonic it replaced.
Pete

iani

#3 Post by iani » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Firewatcher wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:21 pm
I gave up on the wing mounted ones, after seeing one electric and a couple of manual ones snap off. My roof ariel has lasted many years and still going strong, but one alternative might be the rubber version which can be wing or roof mounted. incarmusic.co.uk have one about £20. I have just put a 20 year old Blaupunkt Car 300 Radio/Cassette in my wagon, reception is brilliant even with the simple 6" loop I used to test it . Much better receiver than the 1970s Panasonic it replaced.
Pete
Thanks Pete, I think rubber aerials look awful so that won't work I'm afraid. I have a manual aerial on the wing but I'd just rather have an electric one so I don't have to remember to lower it. I have a period effect DAB radio fitted which is working fine.
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Firewatcher » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Point taken on the rubber ones. The other 2000 I have has a manual one fitted to the rear wing. Much more space for an integral motor and (easier access to install) if you can't find an electric one small enough for the front.
Pete