Mk2 windscreen wipers

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Jake
Groupie
Groupie
Mk2 windscreen wipers

#1 Post by Jake » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi All, a problem with my Mk2 windscreen wipers. They don't self park. I could have sworn they they used to but I maybe mistaken....

Anyway on the Mk2 there is a self park switch, Chris Witor sells them so I ordered a new one and fitted it.... Still doesn't self park.

Everything else seems fine, both speeds function, washers work, and the single sweep works. (It's just you have to let it go at the right time to park them!)

Any tips gratefully received.

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Mk2 windscreen wipers

#2 Post by Jake » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Well I've worked it out for myself! The wiring diagram isn't all that informative as it doesn't show how the wiper switch or park switch function.

For anyone who's interested my car has a 5 pin connection to the wiper motor. The park switch was working correctly (making and breaking the circuit between the green & green/brown wires according to the cam action).

However in the wiper switch the green/brown & green/red (low speed motor run) should be connected when the wipers are in the off position and it was that contact in the wiper switch that was the problem.

I've stripped the wiper switch cleaned that contact and reassembled everything. All working ok now 👍