Indicators dim but hazards ok

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Llessur
Indicators dim but hazards ok

#1 Post by Llessur » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:14 pm

I've posted this question in another forum so apologies if you've already seen it there but thought I'd just see if anyone here has any ideas...

The indicators on my 2500 are not very bright - especially at the rear. The hazards, however, are nice and bright.

I presumed this was an earthing problem so I have cleaned up the ones I can find but nothing has changed.

Are there any earthing points which are not common between the indicators and the hazards?

Otherwise I presume this can only be one of two things which are not common between the two - the flasher unit or the column stalk. Can either cause such symptoms? Has anyone else had this problem?
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

Alec

Re: Indicators dim but hazards ok

#2 Post by Alec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am

Hello Llessur,

you may have a malfunctioning night dipping relay. It is mounted in the boot, probably left hand side near the hinges? (Memory failure)
It should only operate when the lights are on and puts a resistor in line to dim the indicators and brake lights. By pass this and see what results you get?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Alec wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am
Hello Llessur,

you may have a malfunctioning night dipping relay. It is mounted in the boot, probably left hand side near the hinges? (Memory failure)
It should only operate when the lights are on and puts a resistor in line to dim the indicators and brake lights. By pass this and see what results you get?

Alec
That was my first thought, but as your car is a '77 2500, and night dimming relays were only fitted to pre-facelift models (in the UK at least) then perhaps not. I would try substituting the flasher unit for a more modern electronic unit (usually three pin, you will have to add an earth wire to terminal +31)
If there's no improvement try using the indicator switch from your parts car.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Llessur

#4 Post by Llessur » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 am

Right, here's an update on this one.

I have fitted a new electronic flasher and a known good indicator stalk but the problem still remains so I have dug a little deeper.

The live feed at the indicator flasher relay is only showing less than battery voltage (about 11v) whereas the live feed at the hazard relay is showing full battery voltage.

The wiring diagram shows the live feed into the indicator relay (green and slate wire) comes through the hazard switch (it is here the circuit gets broken if the hazards are activated). I have dismantled the dash and tested the voltage in to the hazard switch. The feed for the hazards is 12v, the feed for the indicators is 11v.

Working back, the green circuit at the fuse box is showing only 11v.

All of this is with the engine off - it is currently not running as the exhaust is off and I don't want to annoy the neighbours by starting it up without one.

I've started a separate thread into the low voltage in the green circuit in case this turns out to be a whole other problem.

Any advice welcome :)
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/