Electronic Distributor

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Graham
Groupie
Groupie
Electronic Distributor

#1 Post by Graham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi All

I've had quite a bit of work done on the 2500S recently including machining the exhaust manifold and fitting new studs, sealing all the leaks in the exhaust system and refitting with new hangers, fitting reconditioned carbs, new coil. new battery, rewiring the starer and charging system due to high resistance in the original cables. The car now starts instantly and easily and is running very nicely. However in order to achieve this we have had to disconnect the vacuum advance as it goes way out as the revs pick up. I'm thinking of fitting an electronic distributor but prices on them vary a lot, does anyone here use on that they can recommend?

Graham

Joe™
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Electronic Distributor

#2 Post by Joe™ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am

I'm very happy with my 123ignition electronic dizzy - https://www.123ignitionshop.com

Alec

#3 Post by Alec » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Graham,

have you got the right vacuum unit and is it connected correctly, i.e. to the carburettor outlet? There are a series of three sets of numbers stamped on the unit so you need to check what you have and what you should have?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Graham
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Graham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Joe™ wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am
I'm very happy with my 123ignition electronic dizzy - https://www.123ignitionshop.com

Thanks, Joe, I've made a note of that one.

Graham

Graham
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by Graham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Alec wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 pm
Hello Graham,

have you got the right vacuum unit and is it connected correctly, i.e. to the carburettor outlet? There are a series of three sets of numbers stamped on the unit so you need to check what you have and what you should have?

Alec
The honest answer is that I have no idea, Alec. The engine isn't original and the distributor is not original to the car or engine. The vacuum is disconnected from the carb outlet as it runs much better that way. This makes things all a bit complicated, or at least is does to me. The current vacuum unit is clearly wrong but how do I determine which one I would need?

Graham

Alec

#6 Post by Alec » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:30 am

Hello Graham,

so it's likely that the distributor itself is incorrect? Also note that the vacuum advance also depends on correct carburation, they are linked together as the idea is to allow a weaker mixture than normal at cruise, which also gives a highish vacuum which is then used to advance the timing to compensate for the weaker mixture and give more economical motoring.

How far from original is the engine?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.