Wiper blade length

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Phil T
Wiper blade length

#1 Post by Phil T » Mon May 28, 2018 8:03 am

My wiper blades are due for renewal, currently they measure 13.75 inches.

As the sweep is the European way I tend to see through the bit above the sweep, which in the rain is a bit awkward. There is about 3 inches unswept at the top, has anyone tried longer blades? If so what length is the norm?

johnnydog

Re: Wiper blade length

#2 Post by johnnydog » Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 am

The original stainless steel Tex and Trico blades were classed as 14" blades although they were not quite 14" in length.
They are now relatively difficult to find and are commanding highish prices.
The alternatives are black 'modern' blades but these don't look right on our Triumphs.
If you fit longer arms or blades they may contact the stainless windscreen trim surround; depending on the amount of slop in the wiper motor / linkage. Later models had a modified sweep to reduce the likelihood of the blades slapping the windscreen trim.
In the past I have fitted an adjustable arm to the passenger side to prevent contact with the upper left hand side of the trim. This obviously reduces the height of the sweep, but I rarely have a passenger!
The passenger side original arm had a bend at the blade fitting end which allows the blade to sit parallel with the bottom of the windscreen and it also keeps the blade further away from the trim at the top of its sweep.
Increasing the height of the sweep will create other issues as outlined above so I would personally stick with the original length blades.
If buying stainless blades, there were narrow and broad fittings - our Triumphs had the broader fitting; about 1/4" from memory.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Phil T

Re: Wiper blade length

#3 Post by Phil T » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:05 am

Quick update.

I fitted longer blades and can actually see out of the swept area without ducking my head. Although this is with my left eye only. But the duck to see with both eyes is reduced.

The blades were slightly offset so the longer 'half' from the fitting was on the correct side to give more viewing.

Happy.