Bad Earth Problems

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
osholt
Groupie
Groupie
Bad Earth Problems

#1 Post by osholt » Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello,

What started as a 'simple' job to swap out the radio and the dashboard has ended up being a wiring disaster.

I believe the problems are caused by a bad earth which I have managed to disturb in the disassembly process. The interior light works sporadically but most of the dash warning lights, and none of the steering column switches appear to operate anything. If I connect a wire directly from the battery negative to the cigarette lighter negative the windscreen wipers do operate but nothing else. All the wiring up to and leaving the fusebox seems to be in order.

Does anyone have a list of all the earthing points, particularly ones behind the dashboard and centre console? I could not find this information in my workshop manual.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks,

Oliver
Register Member No. 7822-01/17

Triumph 2000 Mk2 Sapphire Blue (1972) - Currently being upgraded to 2.5 EFI
Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!
Mini Clubvan Cooper D Ice Blue (2012)

osholt
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Bad Earth Problems

#2 Post by osholt » Fri May 26, 2017 8:48 pm

I found the cause of my problems. It's a weird one, at least in my experience.

The very short earthing strap from the battery negative to the suspension turret was not connected when I bought the car. I now realise this was becuase the battery terminals were on the side facing towards the centre of the car so it would not reach the suspension turret.

At some point one of the previous owners disconnected this innocently when replacing the battery and discovered that all the lights and indicators etc. still worked.

I thought I had a totally unrelated problem where the end of the throttle cable nearest the pedal had its plastic sheath buckle resulting in the throttle pedal not moving; I thought this was becuase it had been damaged while being fitted by a previous owner. I removed the throttle cable at the same time I started fiddling with the radio and dashboard.

It turns out that the throttle cable was probably the only good earth connection for everything except the starter motor which might explain why the sheath buckled if it got very hot with all the lights on becoming soft and brittle.

Retrospectively it makes sense: when I removed the throttle cable (and the choke cable for good measure while removing the centre console) suddenly none of the lights, horn, indicator or anything else worked! Their only return path was via the metal cables going to the engine.

I will be purchasing a new battery very soon and connecting the earth strap properly and I can then finally reinstall the dashboard and centre console without fear of nothing working again.
Register Member No. 7822-01/17

Triumph 2000 Mk2 Sapphire Blue (1972) - Currently being upgraded to 2.5 EFI
Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!
Mini Clubvan Cooper D Ice Blue (2012)

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » Sat May 27, 2017 2:47 am

Also check the speedo cable has not been acting as an earth return, you've just reminded me I had a similar problem with a Mini Cooper back in the '70's, so much so that the speedo needle gave off a puff of smoke and then fell off!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

David Withers

#4 Post by David Withers » Sat May 27, 2017 8:05 am

osholt wrote:I found the cause of my problems. It's a weird one, at least in my experience.
<snip>
It turns out that the throttle cable was probably the only good earth connection for everything except the starter motor...
I had exactly the same problem many years ago on a Morris 1100. I had wondered (a) why the lights weren't very bright and (b) why the throttle cable was dry and rusty not long after being oiled. Lifting the bonnet with everything turned on revealed a red hot throttle cable!

wild bill

#5 Post by wild bill » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Had the exact same fault with my first or second Minivan circa '72/73. Think I was also stupid enough to not believe that it WAS hot and put a lovely burn line across all my fingers! :?
Don't think Iv'e learnt much yet!!!........Good old Leyland!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W

Clifford Pope

#6 Post by Clifford Pope » Sun May 28, 2017 5:29 pm

I had the same thing with a Ferguson tractor. The battery earth went to a bolt holding the fuel tank to the bulkhead, but the bulkhead was isolated from the engine/gearbox because the bolts and washers were corroded. The fuel pipe from the tank on top of the engine to the carburettor supplied the earth.
If the engine didn't fire immediately prolonged cranking heated the fuel pipe. I discovered this when I burned my hand on it.