Hazard switch location and bezel

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Vox
Groupie
Groupie
Hazard switch location and bezel

#1 Post by Vox » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi all,
I have a 72 pre face lift 2000 saloon and have been thinking about fitting hazard warning lights. I have an original Lucas pull switch from (probably) a Dolomite with a trianglar metal mounting plate, the corresponding plug and wiring from an old dash loom and a Lucas 9FL flasher unit and I have no problems with the wiring side of it, just musing over a suitable location.

Originaly I was going to mount it under the dash on a NOS Lucas chrome 2 hole switch mount but because of the dash padding this wasn't as straight forward as I thought it might be - can be done but would need a bit of ingenuity.

Second thought was on the front of the centre console on the opposite side to the heated rear window switch - this would be descrete but wires would all need extending.

Now coming around to the idea of mounting it on the dash like later cars. This has the benefit of being kind of original in a way and make the wiring simple but no going back short of replacing the dash so needs to be done right first time!

This way does bring up a couple of questions though - a quick Google image search shows that it is below the multi function light but not equally spaced from the bottom, being much nearer the multi function lights - would somebody be able to tell me how far down to drill the hole (and ideally what size) so I know everything will clear?

This brings up the second thing - I have seen some cars where there is just a plain hole drilled through the dashboard (which looks a bit pants really and would need a very neat edge to the hole) and some that have a chrome bezel/finisher type thing that fits through from the front and presumably screws the switch to the triangluar plate (which in turn is screwed to the back of the dash) instead of the plain black ring nut I have on my switch. Can anybody help with one of those?

Many thanks as always,
Chris

badger

Re: Hazard switch location and bezel

#2 Post by badger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 pm

I would be interested to know how you do it. Electrics are a bit of a science to me. I too have a pre face lift 2000, and would like to fit some hazards to it. If it was me, I would probably fit it under the dash. Then again I am a bit lazy!!
Dorset Badger
MK2 2000 m/od. Sapphire Blue.

tony

#3 Post by tony » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 am

Presuming you have a workshop manual, have a good look at the appropriate wiring diagram. I fitted a hazard system in my Mk4 Spitfire following the wiring path in the TC book quite easily.
I just drilled an appropriate sized hole in the dash. It looked like it belonged there.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Vox
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Vox » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am

Hi all,
I know how to wire it, just want to know where to put the hole to look correct in the PFL dash.

At work so haven't got it with me but from memory green/white wire from hazard switch goes to green/white indicator circuit wire, ditto green/red to green/red indicator wire, black to earth, the green wire and the light green/grey are used to interupt the (green?) wire going from the original flasher unit to the indicator switch (i.e need to cut the original wire and connect one side to the green from the hazard switch and the other side to the light green/grey) and the remaining light green/pink wire connects to the hazard flasher unit. Original position for the flasher was by the fuse box and a purple wire needs to come from the fuse box (permanantly live connection, where the other purple wires are) to the B terminal on the hazard relay (assuming original Lucas 9FL hazard flasher).

Advantage of fitting on the dash between the clocks means that the first three connections above can be easily connected to the wires going to the multi function warning light cluster. Use either Scotchlock connectors (easy) or do proper connections (better). If you have cut the loom plug from an old dash loom to make your switch easily unplugable (as I have) then these sometimes have two G/W, G/R and Black wires (each in the same hole as it were) so one of each would need securely insulating off or cut the wire behind the dash and use the two on the switch to reconnect them.

Although the G/W, G/R and Black colours seem consistent looking at other Triumph wiring diagrams sometimes there are slight variations on the other colours but it is easy to work out with a multi meter - with the hazard switch off the two terminals that are connected are the ones to interupt the original flasher to indicator switch wire and no others should connect. With the hazard switch on (pulled out) these two should not connect but all the others should connect to each other (if the black doesn't connect then the bulb is probably blown/missing).

The problem with fitting under the dash is that is angled with about an inch of padding before hitting any metal to screw to and then it won't sit tidy because of the padding and can end up ripping teh vinyl. There is some vertical steel just behind the edge so would probably have to fit an L bracket to that to fit the switch bracket to but then you have the problem of how to get a drill around the back of the dash to make the screw holes!

cheers
Chris

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:51 pm

I plan to do much the same with my 1971 PI and 1973 Stag (neither with hazards as standard). The wiring isn't really an issue but I was going to fit the switch where the dash illumination pot is now. Let's face it, we all have that set flat-out so it's pretty redundant anyway

The other solution would be to use the wood from a later dash with the hole already in place!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

sprint95m

Okay....

#6 Post by sprint95m » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 am

Do you have the chrome ring insert for fitting into the dash yet?
If not, I can probably find one.

Please PM.
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

johnnydog

#7 Post by johnnydog » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:14 pm

It seems a lot of work relatively, just to get hazard warning lights. When do you plan to use them? Our cars are that reliable, I doubt you'd ever have occasion to actually need them..... :lol:
I have factory fitted hazards on my 'S', and I can't recollect ever having needed them.......and I do use it, before someone questions it......!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 pm

John, don't you know that hazard lights are a free pass to park outside the local shop etc on yellow lines 'cos you're only in there for a minute :lol:
As for your 'S', I'm thinking its last outing was 2013!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Vox
Groupie
Groupie

#9 Post by Vox » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all,
I have only really needed hazards once or twice in three years or so (most other times I broke down somewhere safe!) once on a major roundabout (patern condensor failing - spent most of my 50th birthday on the Buckingham ring road!) and once snapped throttle cable on a steep busy hill with buses flying past my backside - swapped over the choke cable and got my wife to operate it (2000's can't half wheel spin with somebody else operating the throtle!) so I would like to get some fitted.

Mike - yes I think maybe getting a later dash with the hole already in might be a plan if I can find a presentable one but from what I have seen they have a seat belt warning light where the dimmer would go which has a couple of extra small holes either side - but not the end of the world.

Sprint95 - I would like the chrome bezel if you can find one, many thanks - I'll try and work out how to PM you.

cheers
Chris

johnnydog

#10 Post by johnnydog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Ok, Dave, you win....its last outing in anger was the last Kent National, I think! But it was on the road from 2006 til then. Trouble is, as I'm reminded of too often, I have too many cars!!
But I never used the hazards on my first white 'S' which I bought in 1979, and never on my Tahiti 'S' which I got in 1985. I bought the Carmine 'S' in 1998 which I still own now. Must be too reliable, that's all I can say!!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red