Hazards and indicators

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Alec
Re: Hazards and indicators

#11 Post by Alec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 am

Hello Llessur,

as I said " usually by one of the engine mounts connecting the two",

i.e. a strap on the engine side of the mount to the body side of the mount, it's quite short maybe 4 inches or so?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Charles H

#12 Post by Charles H » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Whilst you seem to be on top of the indicator issues, the hazard problem is the switch itself. It is designed to isolate the indicator circuit with the flasher unit in it, and make another circuit connecting both left and right sides together using the hazard flasher unit. The connections are by a copper ring and various terminals on the switch itself. These become dirty and do not provide a decent contact. To re4move the switch is easy, remove the dash wood panel, disconnect the switch from the panel and unplug. Clean and replace. Just takes a little time. Good luck.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 pm

It could also be a problem with the hazard flasher itself. The hazards use a 2nd flasher unit which might be faulty or even missing!

On a Mk2, the engine earth strap should be on the LH side of the engine. I think!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Llessur

#14 Post by Llessur » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Alec wrote:as I said " usually by one of the engine mounts connecting the two", i.e. a strap on the engine side of the mount to the body side of the mount, it's quite short maybe 4 inches or so?
Cheers Alec - I just wondered where exactly the body end of the cable/strap usually connects to. On the engine side I'll just pick a nearby timing cover bolt or something but if there's already an existing connection point on the body somewhere that would be useful.

Which side of the car is it usually on? Battery or carbs? I presume it should be towards the front by the engine mount and not between the gearbox bell housing and the bulkhead like I remember on the Spit/GT6?

Unless it was one of those Triumph things that seems to change randomly from car to car...

Charles H wrote:Whilst you seem to be on top of the indicator issues, the hazard problem is the switch itself. It is designed to isolate the indicator circuit with the flasher unit in it, and make another circuit connecting both left and right sides together using the hazard flasher unit. The connections are by a copper ring and various terminals on the switch itself. These become dirty and do not provide a decent contact. To re4move the switch is easy, remove the dash wood panel, disconnect the switch from the panel and unplug. Clean and replace. Just takes a little time. Good luck.
Thanks Charles - I've got a couple of spare dashes lying around so I'll swap the switch over from one of those, or just get the contact cleaner out, and see whether that helps.

Mike Stevens wrote:It could also be a problem with the hazard flasher itself. The hazards use a 2nd flasher unit which might be faulty or even missing!
Cheers Mike - if the switch cleaning/replacement doesn't work then I will take a look and see if I can find a good replacement flasher to swap in to test. Otherwise will look into the advice above about fitting a modern electric flasher unit.

I know of the indicator flasher unit under the passenger side dash but do you know where the second flasher for the hazards is? If they worked that would help me locate it I guess...
Last edited by Llessur on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/