Overdrive column switch - parts interchange?

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
rhalkyard
Re: Overdrive column switch - parts interchange?

#21 Post by rhalkyard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:45 am

All good data points, thanks a lot everybody.

I've been talking to a few TR owners here in the US, and it seems that LHD TRs with the column-mounted overdrive switch had it on the left, with down for on. Thus it stands to reason that mounting such a switch in my car will give the original up for on behaviour.

Now just to see if I can find a chromed one; the switches that I've seen available new in the US are all in black.
'68 2000 Estate, white w/ black interior – in the family since new, bought in England, shipped to NZ, now in the US!
'56 MGA Roadster - '85 VW Scirocco - '96 Volvo 850R Estate

harveycoppock

Re: Overdrive column switch - parts interchange?

#22 Post by harveycoppock » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 am

Afraid I bracketed a metal toggle switch on the gear lever on both TR (retrofitted OD, so had no stalk switch and new ones weren't around at the time) and 2000 - had been built OD, then someone converted it to auto, I changed it back as the automatic box was faulty, and the gearknob switch that was on the car the box came from fell to bits.

I lie, actually to start with I switched the 2000 with the rear screen switch, well, that didn't work, and it was a handy switch in the right place.....