retro fit hazard flashers

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
djw113uk
retro fit hazard flashers

#1 Post by djw113uk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 am

After a unfortunately placed breakdown recently I was relieved to have hazard flashers on the V8 saloon. My PI, the estate and the most recent acquisition do not have hazards, so what is the best way to fit them? Is it possible to replicate the factory system, or best just add an auxiliary switch? Even with the latter, how do you tie it into the live feed, left and right indicators and to the dash indicator lamps?

The cars are all mk2. The V8 is a retro fit anyway (and well hidden in the reworked loom), and from searches here I understand the flasher unit should be behind the glovebox, but where best to take the wiring from?

Thanks

tony

Re: retro fit hazard flashers

#2 Post by tony » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:33 am

Surprised that your Mk2's don't have flashers as our's do. Haynes show flashers in their late model wiring diagrams. A fairly straightforward installation. I did my Mk4 Spitfire, you'll need an extra flasher unit and a flasher switch. Should be plenty of those available s/h.
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

johnconradlee

#3 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:41 am

I think hazard warning lights came in on the 1974 onward facelift cars.
Fitting hazards to an earlier car ought to be possible, although not necessarily easy. You'd need the correct switch and an extra flasher relay. I have retrofitted hazards on an early 1970 Mk2 by swapping in the front half of a 1974 loom but wouldn't recommend this method unless the original loom was as ropey as mine was (interfacing the two looms is a little interesting....).
I reckon carrying a flashing orange beacon with a cigarette lighter plug and putting it on the parcel shelf if you break down would be easier and cheaper.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:53 pm

There was an article on doing just this in the SOC magazine a year or 2 ago. It didn't look too difficult. You will need a hazard switch and a hazard flasher. I can't remember the exact details but I think the switch wires up to the existing indicator wiring and gets its feed from the live supply (via the new flasher).

I got a couple of hazard switches from Andy Harrison a couple of years ago so I can do this mod to the PI and Stag. (You can't rush these things!)

I'll try and find the details and remind myself of how it all fits together.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Mike is correct, fairly straightforward especially if you use the Lucas unit as per F/L mk2. Just connect each lead from the switch to the corresponding lead behind/under the dash, easy enough as the switch uses the same wiring colours as the car.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lucas-30386-1 ... 462f0a8b41
http://www.classic-spares-electrical.co ... ent&part=5
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Dave B wrote:especially if you use the Lucas unit as per F/L mk2
Yup, those are the ones I got from Andy. I've even found mating connectors for them in my stock of old 'junk'!

More jobs..... :wink:

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)