Spin on oil filters & an electrical quest

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
JonDodson

#1 Post by JonDodson » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 am

Following oil pressure problems a few months ago (oil light coming on when engine hot) I have since fitted a Chris Wittor spin on adaptor.  It has completely cured the problem (I\'ve no idea why, but it must mean that my oil pressure is now higher (yes, the oil light still comes on at ignition)).  In addition, the time it takes before the oil light goes out when starting is now about an tenth of what it used to be.  It was dead easy to fit, and at the risk of sounding like I\'m on commission, I\'d reccomend one if you haven\'t already got one.  A spin on filter is going to save my drive tarmac an oil drenching every 3000 miles (not that my drive isn\'t already coated in oil!) and make the job quick and easy.
Anyway, a question.  My rear brake lights work fine when I don\'t use headlamps/sidelights.  But when I do, one rear brakelight is dead dim.  I\'ve tried everything including swapping bulbs and emerying the earthing points.  I am rubbish at electrics.  Any ideas welcome, MOT in a month
Thanks
Jon

Alec

#2 Post by Alec » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:52 am

Hello Jon,
how do you know if the brake light is on when the side lights are on. You say it is dim but surely that is not apparent with the tail light on.
I would carefull re check the earths, particularly in the lamp holder. Is the bulb making good contact to the lamp body?. Another thing you can try is to have someone press the brake, with the side lights on, then disconnect the sidelight connection to the weak side (red wire). If the brake light then comes on it points to a poor earth at that unit.

Alec

JonDodson

#3 Post by JonDodson » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:15 am

Thanks Alec, I\'m sure the earths are fine but I admit I didn\'t try disconnecting the sidelight connection on the weak side with the brake pedal pressed.  I\'ll give it a go and see if it helps show what\'s going on.
Regards
Jon

Alec

#4 Post by Alec » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:35 pm

Hello Jon,
By the way, when I want to check the brake lights, I disconnect the two leads at the brake light switch (it is near the top of the brake pedal) and put a jumper across them. That way I don\'t need an assistant. Disconnect the coil (and fuel pump if a PI), if working with the ignition on for a long time.
Do you have any sort of a meter or test lamp? it can save a lot of guess work.
Alec 

Alan Chatterton

#5 Post by Alan Chatterton » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:13 pm

I suspect that you have an early car ie pre 1973. If so, you will have a black box in the boot, on the nearside behind the hinge of the boot lid.
This little piece of sh*t is a night dimming rely.It\'s purpose in life is to DIM down the brake lights when the side lights are on so that you don\'t dazzle people at night!
Have you ever heard of such rubbish!!!!!

Anyway, to disable it, just pull of the black earth wire and it will be disabled. Then your brake lights will be brighter when the side lights are on!!

Simple!!

Rgds

Alan Chatterton

Alec

#6 Post by Alec » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:34 pm

Hello Alan,
A good idea from my point of view as generally people tend to keep their brakes on while stopped in traffic, that plus high level brake lights.  Drive me crazy.
However I seem to remember that there are three circuits in the relay, one for each indicator and one for the brake lights. So unless they are crossed (very possible) then both brake lights should be affected.

Alec
&nbsp;<edited><editID>Alec</editID><editDate>38063.6987615741</editDate></edited>

docdelete
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by docdelete » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:43 pm

[QUOTE=Alan Chatterton]
&nbsp;little piece of sh*t is a night dimming rely.It\'s purpose in life is to DIM down the brake lights when the side lights are on so that you don\'t dazzle people at night!
Have you ever heard of such rubbish!!!!!
[/QUOTE]
I dunno - it\'s a pity its not fitted to modern cars that look like Blackpool illuminations at red lights, \'cos the dim drivers are all sitting there for five minutes without using the handbrake. Especially if they\'ve got high level brake lights et al, it\'s raining, and you\'re own eyes are tired and sensitive after staring at a monitor for 12 hours....bitter? Me? ;-)))
Cheers, Ken.

Clifford Pope

#8 Post by Clifford Pope » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:45 pm

I agree with you about the worth of a spin-on oil filter.
<br>Here\'s another tip. The standard recommended filter to go with it is quite short, and it is difficult getting a grip to undo it because it is tucked in between the engine and chassis.
<br>Get a longer one with the same thread (eg Halfords HOF 206)and angle the unit so that it points a bit forwards. That way there is something projecting to get a hold on, and you can do it from the front of the car. Also it has a bigger oil capacity, if that makes any difference.
<br>
<br>On the same lines I WOULD NOT recommend the oil feed to rocker shaft conversion. I found it impossible to get a good seal at the back of the head, and had to abandon it.