Green triumph 2000 on matthewsons

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
Roscoe
Groupie
Groupie
Green triumph 2000 on matthewsons

#1 Post by Roscoe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:32 pm

I wonder if anyone in the club bought that green triumph 2000 MK1 with overdrive from Matthewsons wish I had gone and looked at it was described as immaculate by the auction people went for a reasonable price as well just over £6000.

johnnydog

Re: Green triumph 2000 on matthewsons

#2 Post by johnnydog » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:11 am

Yes, I saw that after another Register member told me about it. I hung on with a reply initially in case a forum member had bought it! It had a reserve of 10k. On close examination I don't think it was as good as it looked from the initial glance at the photos. From memory, it had early front over riders, no wheel trim embishers, a Mk2 gearlever gaitor, but the seam on the leading edge of one rear wheelarch appeared smoothed over with filler. The front bumper was bent on the underside on one corner. It also was running like a 'pig', described as a misfire - maybe an easy fix, but maybe more involved. I suspect it had had previous body repairs and a repaint, which were not possibly as good as it looked on first glance. Don't think it was worth 6k plus any buyers premium to be honest.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Roscoe
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Green triumph 2000 on matthewsons

#3 Post by Roscoe » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:46 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:11 am
Yes, I saw that after another Register member told me about it. I hung on with a reply initially in case a forum member had bought it! It had a reserve of 10k. On close examination I don't think it was as good as it looked from the initial glance at the photos. From memory, it had early front over riders, no wheel trim embishers, a Mk2 gearlever gaitor, but the seam on the leading edge of one rear wheelarch appeared smoothed over with filler. The front bumper was bent on the underside on one corner. It also was running like a 'pig', described as a misfire - maybe an easy fix, but maybe more involved. I suspect it had had previous body repairs and a repaint, which were not possibly as good as it looked on first glance. Don't think it was worth 6k plus any buyers premium to be honest.
Yea they described the misfire as maybe plugs or points but I wonder if it was as you say something more involved hence the importance of viewing before buying. Don’t know why he described it as immaculate!