MK1 police cars

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
sahtuning2000
MK1 police cars

#1 Post by sahtuning2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 pm

OK this is a VERY long shot but I wonder if my car was used by the police when new,not as a patrol car(its Valencia)but maybe as a pool car etc,now the reason I say this is that there are many various various holes around the dash area that point that various electric items have been fitted there in the past,so I have the following strange pointers to list...
The front grille has small holes drilled through the upright grille supports,small holes but why take the time to drill the uprights when you could just use the gaps in the slats?i thing wires have been thread through these holes in the past.
The front bumper had 2 holes on the top but nothing attached,maybe for spot/foglamps or police lights which would line up with the grille holes.
It has an alternator(may 68 cars did?)and the horns are larger items and very loud!
Inside is where the most hints are,the parcel shelves have several holes on them on both sides almost to accept CB equipment in the past.
The driver A post black metal trim has 2 holes drilled through it which continue to the actual door shut when you open it,alot of trouble to go to,it appears something was mounted to the drivers A post trim.
Ever switch etc is labelled,this appears on everything,all dash switches,centre dash lights(fuel,oil etc)are labelled despite already being listed as what they do,even the lighter has a label,it has an old rev counter on the dash aswell,of course this has a label,in very old style font,lastly the reg number is printed out on an old dyno style machine and is stuck to the headlining above the drivers door,this all points to a car that more then one person drove.
Has an aerial mounted on the OSR wing,not a common place to fit an aerial and several police car pics I have seen show the aerial fitted there.
There are no signs of POLICE signs fitted etc with no clues such as zips in the headlining of filled in holes on the roof etc,but with a Valencia/tan combination I doubt very much it was a true police car,rather a Q car,the mileage wasn,t great either about 47k by 1986,problem is you no longer can get the DVLA history anymore and the hertitage certificate says it was surplied by Quantock motors in Swindon when new.
The labelling of all the switches and the reg number on the headling is what baffles me most,it does mean I think that several people drove the car when new.
Any ideas?

Charles H

Re: MK1 police cars

#2 Post by Charles H » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Photos and the reg number may pull up some more info. Does sound like you are on the right track!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE