Engine removal

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
asam_x
Groupie
Groupie
Engine removal

#1 Post by asam_x » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Any suggestions on the best way to remove the engine and gearbox on my MK2 estate? I need to remove in order to cut out and replace some of the bulkhead, and weld in another one. There is rot under both drain flaps and I prefer to cut out and replace the whole bottom half rather than patch up, I will replace the full clutch kit as well. Do any seals at the rear of the engine need changing while gearbox off? Thanks

Alan Chatterton

Engine removal

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Drop the front suspension off, lower the entire engine and box as one unit to the floor, no need to separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

johnnydog

Re: Engine removal

#3 Post by johnnydog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 am

Depending on what equipment you have access to, how much height you have available and whether you have access to a block and tackle rather than an engine crane, you can remove the engine and gearbox in one unit upwards. This avoids dropping the suspension, but needs the bonnet and radiator removed (rad is best removed anyway if you go downwards) and an assistant to support the rear of the gearbox to clear the bodywork.
Can be refitted the same way but you need a shoehorn (ie a flat shovel!) to get the sump past the cross member. Also you need to be careful you don't crush the metal power steering pipes.
Alternatively, you could remove the gearbox first and then the engine, both as seperate units, which possibly is more manageable.
Unless there is an obvious oil leak from the rear crank seal, I would leave well alone. There may well be a little oil misting on the bellhousing - this is acceptable, but wet oil needs investigating.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 pm

I usually drop the whole lot down in one go as Alan suggested. I've also split the 2 and taken them out one at a time, but always down. Yes, you have to remove the front suspension, but I think the height you need to lift them up is probably quite a lot and maybe more than a normal garage roof! Neither method is wrong and of course each to his own with the equipment available at the time.

I have a small-ish engine crane but it doesn't have quite enough hydraulic lift to drop the lump enough to get it out from under the car, especially as you have to have the front raised somewhat to clear the engine underneath. A suitable (strong) box under the engine then gives somewhere to take to load while I re-set the crane.

Another possibility would be to remove the engine but leave the gearbox in place? Maybe?

Good luck.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Charles H

#5 Post by Charles H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am

Down down down every time!! Just the cross member to remove, eight nuts and bolts to the chassis rail and two on the bottom arms after freeing the rack at either end and the pinch bolt. Simple!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

froggy2000

#6 Post by froggy2000 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am

No difficult to lift the car high enough ?? I'll shortly remove the engine for rebuild and worried a bit about this first step.
Cheers,
Fabien
Land Rover 88 SIIA
TR3 Puzzle... to be rebuilt
2000 MK1