Historic

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
torque2me
Historic

#1 Post by torque2me » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi groupies,

Going to be getting the car ready for it'd annual test and VED. Struck me that I will probably need to send of the V5c to DVLA and request they change the category to "Historic".. As the vehicle is a May 1977 build I take it is not eligible this year for being VED'less but from 1st January 2018. Am I reading the DVLA site correctly?

Kev

poppyman
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Historic

#2 Post by poppyman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:16 pm

i have just got my 2500s listed as "historic". i was registered jan 77.
but it was built 1976, i found this from the bmm, it was £6 for an email confirming build date :D
but dvla would not accept that :( so i had to buy a heritage certificate at£42.
but still much cheaper than 6mths rfl :)

torque2me

#3 Post by torque2me » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:06 pm

poppyman wrote:i have just got my 2500s listed as "historic". i was registered jan 77.
but it was built 1976, i found this from the bmm, it was £6 for an email confirming build date :D
but dvla would not accept that :( so i had to buy a heritage certificate at£42.
but still much cheaper than 6mths rfl :)
Yeah, all 1976 should be o.k. It's the early 1977 stuff. DVLA take 1st Jan as the reduction date but mine is now 40 years old. I have feeling it won't qualify until 2018. Yes, BH certificates are now £42 onwards. Last time I looked they were £26. According to their web site the DVLA will no longer accept e-mails like the local offices did - only the full certificate.

I have a funny feeling that the saving for me will be zilch!

Kev

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm

As the vehicle is a May 1977 build I take it is not eligible this year for being VED'less but from 1st January 2018. Am I reading the DVLA site correctly?

As your vehicle has a build date of May 1977, then it will not become eligible for Historic taxation class until APRIL 2018. Historic road tax for an eligible vehicle does not kick in until the following April after the car was built. After it becomes eligible, go to a Post Office that does road tax, fill in the taxation class section on the rear of the V5, sign it, hand it over, they confirm it and the MOT status on their system, and then they send the V5 off for you. Simple as that!

I also understand the DVLA will accept cars registered in the 1st week of January of any year as being built in the previous year, so for example if your car was registered on say 5th January 1977, it is more than probable that it was built in 1976, so they will change the taxation class to historic based on that. Anything registered after the 7th January may be more difficult to prove a build date without a heritage certificate.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

torque2me

#5 Post by torque2me » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

johnnydog wrote:As the vehicle is a May 1977 build I take it is not eligible this year for being VED'less but from 1st January 2018. Am I reading the DVLA site correctly?
Thanks for the post johnnydog. January is the set date for 40 year qualification. That's how I read the site. As my VED is July, I guess I will tax it as historic in July 2018 (?)

Kev
ps
40 is the new 41 then!

johnnydog

#6 Post by johnnydog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Relative to the above posts, a recent article in Classic Car Weekly just prior to the recent election outlined how the DVLA were to implement using the date of registration to establish whether a car was eligible for Historic status rather than the build date. It has come about because of the system used by dealers in the mid 70's to register a new vehicle at the point of sale, declared that the vehicle was 'new and unused' which implied that the car 'must' have been built in the same year as it was registered. The article stated that the FBHVC had argued the case for keeping it with the build date, but had not achieved any sympathy.
It seems a bit illogical to me, especially if a vehicle was registered in early January; the likelihood is that it was built in the previous year. Cars could sit around for months before being registered - whilst being officially documented as 'new', they could be months old. Or could it more of a case that the DVLA could generate extra income from the unfortunate owners whose cars had been languishing in a showroom for months before being registered.
The DVLA site currently contradicts the content of this article, but it will be interesting to see if anything does materialise.
I'm just glad all mine are now 'Historic'!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Clifford Pope

#7 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:49 am

I think it's a ridiculous concept anyway. Things don't suddenly become "historic" on a magic date, they either are or are not historic because of their history.

It would be more logical simply to grant historic status, if appropriate, to the whole of a particular model run. Thus at some point Mk1s became historic because of the age of the design, innovative features, style, etc in relation to the history of motoring. Then moving on, Mk2s would move into the historic category as motoring history started to recognise their significance too.

A bit like listed building status, but easier to assess because cars have always been made in model runs, not one-offs.