Reinstate The 25 Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
Polly
Groupie
Groupie

#21 Post by Polly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm with Clifford here, since we are currently at odds with the eu over historic car classification, it seems very likely there might be steps to bring us into line.
Then you also need to consider what a 25 year cut off would do.
Everything 1990 and earlier is tax free!!!
That's a huge loss of revenue, and you think there would be no side effects???
I think the world has moved on since it was s 25 year cut off, because then you were talking mostly about older side valve models, and generally outdated machinery, our cars just scraped in at the end.
I know the House of Commons group have been good at fighting our case, but I would suggest that their interest really lies in the stuff we can't afford, so might not be too bothered if you have to trailer your car everywhere, or maybe restrict driving to within 100 miles of your home.
You don't get much in this life for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

david_lall

Re: Reinstate The 25 Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption

#22 Post by david_lall » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Not true Polly! When I bought my 1968 MG 1300 saloon in 1992 it was just an old car and there were many like it running around. A couple of years later it gained the then new 25-years exempt classification and like many other cars this helped to wake folk up to the fact that old cars ought to be saved.

The Government has responded to the petition, “Reinstate The 25Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption”.

Government responded:

Classic vehicles are an important part of the UK’s heritage. We already offer a 40 year rolling exemption. Around 10,000 classic vehicles each year become exempt, so owners no longer have to pay VED.

The classic car industry employs around 28,000 people in the UK and the Government considers classic vehicles to be an important part of the nation’s historical and cultural heritage. In recognition of the contribution made by this sector, at Budget 14 the Government announced a new affordable Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption for classic vehicles. This was defined as vehicles first registered over forty years previously. It will be rolled forward, allowing new cohorts of historic vehicles to be included in the exemption on 1 April each year. Currently, all vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1975 are eligible to apply for the exemption with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

It is estimated that an additional 10,000 classic vehicles will be affected each year meaning their owners will benefit from not having to pay current VED rates of £145 or £230 depending on vehicle weight and engine size.

The Government is working to deliver a long-term economic plan to repair the public finances and will continue to take the difficult decisions to achieve this goal. Therefore, the Government currently has no plans to re-introduce a rolling twenty-five year exemption for this category of vehicle.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer keeps all taxes under review as part of the regular Budget process.

HM Treasury

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... sponse=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

Classic cars need a constant influx of younger enthusiasts and this will only be made possible for the majority by introducing them to the cars that they can associate with. Too many of us older people have no vision and can't see how our very future depends on the younger generations. Give young people an incentive to follow cars 25 years and older and it will then give them an awareness of even older cars, if not, our antiquated half century cars will just die out with us!
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

Polly
Groupie
Groupie

#23 Post by Polly » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:04 pm

David_rachel I'm not sure exactly which part of my post you believe is not true. Actually your comment regarding the MG 1300 rather proves my point, because at 25 years old, very few considered them classics, however the free road tax made them very affordable every day transport. But where have they all gone? Not many around today though are there, so the free road tax did not save them.
My point was that cars from the fifties, and maybe even early sixties were already classics, because few you'll have used a Standard 10 as everyday transport, even with free road tax, which is why I think the 25 year cut off was to early even then, and if you were to apply it now, with the advances in rust proofing, you would bring huge numbers of cars under the classic umbrella, and because of the huge numbers enjoying the free road tax, it would not be long before someone started a petition to impose restrictions on their use. (Remember anyone can start a petition)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Triumph 2000 Mk1 Slate Grey
Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 Damson
Triumph Tr7 V8 Grinnall (Ramstein) Signal Red
Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8
Reliant Kitten
MGZS
MGZR

david_lall

#24 Post by david_lall » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 am

Polly wrote: I think the world has moved on since it was s 25 year cut off, because then you were talking mostly about older side valve models...
is what I took umbridge to, for the reason that I have already written.

Moving on though, it's very true when you have replied, "very few considered them classics, however the free road tax made them very affordable every day transport."

But where have they all gone now? Well a surprisingly large number of all ADO16's have been restored to very high standards. I am continually surprised at how well received my 2.5PI Estate is in Triumph 2000 circles; sure it looks great, and has won awards at National Rallies but it has many flaws and it is not in as good a condition as my MG1300....far from it. More importantly, there are many ADO16's in far superior condition to my MG. I don't know of any 2000's kept in carcoons but can think of two 1100's. The standard of Masterclass at a typical 1100 Club National Rally is mind blowing. Certainly in 1100 circles the 25 year cut off had a mamouth effect on changing the perception of the car within The 1100 Club, waking many people up to the fact that they ought to save and even restore their cars! I say all this as a member of The 1100 Club since 1992, and as The Club's current General Secretary.

My views are also swayed by my love of Lada Cars. Sure, I know all the jokes about them but with 20 million units produced based on the Soviet's modification of the Fiat 124 floorpan, Russian production only ceasing in 2012 and still continuing in Egypt, it's very much the Russians who have had the last laugh! Our 15,000 mile 1995 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate is even rarer than either my MG 1300, or my 2.5PI Estate - both of those (quite rightly) benefited from tax exemption and the associated kudos. The Lada has just had an eye wateringly expensive restoration of many thousands; it's now Katya's everyday car and even after just a few weeks she has had people ask to take pictures, and stop and talk about it. It is essentially a classic car and like many other cars of its era, again for reasons I have already written, ought to be recognised as part of this country's motoring heritage.....a heritage which even today continues to be added to......
Attachments
20160227_203431_resized (1).jpg
20160227_203357_resized (1).jpg
20160227_203154_resized (1).jpg

Clifford Pope

#25 Post by Clifford Pope » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 am

Alec

#26 Post by Alec » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Hello Cliff,

it has a long way to go and hopefully, if we leave the EU (please), we won't be forced to follow their dictatorial decrees any longer should they be able to force this through. I am happy to see that the FBHVC is aware and fighting it.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

torque2me

#27 Post by torque2me » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Polly wrote:I'm with Clifford here, since we are currently at odds with the eu over historic car classification, it seems very likely there might be steps to bring us into line.
Then you also need to consider what a 25 year cut off would do.
Everything 1990 and earlier is tax free!!!
That's a huge loss of revenue, and you think there would be no side effects???
I think the world has moved on since it was s 25 year cut off, because then you were talking mostly about older side valve models, and generally outdated machinery, our cars just scraped in at the end.
I know the House of Commons group have been good at fighting our case, but I would suggest that their interest really lies in the stuff we can't afford, so might not be too bothered if you have to trailer your car everywhere, or maybe restrict driving to within 100 miles of your home.
You don't get much in this life for free.

I wouldn't have called an XR3 engine "side valve". Hush Puppy (Ken Clarke) introduced the measure and that was the car he owned (cherished). I wonder if he's still got it.

Of course most cars are lasting somewhat longer than the mid 90's due to using galvanised steel and better/more rust-proofing and design than the 50's/60's/70's. Prior to WW2 probably the slightly thicker steel saved some vehicle examples but even with the best will in the world I'm personally only seeing a slightly higher survival rate.

Kev