Rare/desirable options...

General non-technical questions and comments about the cars.
torque2me
Re: Rare/desirable options...

#11 Post by torque2me » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am

johnnydog wrote: Options in modern cars basically fall into two catagories -

Audi for example supply the basic car, and then the initial purchaser specifies what options he wants i.e leather, sat nav, light pack, tech pack, heated seats etc etc. Theoretically, you can make you car reasonably individual...

On the other hand, Vauxhall for example, offer different spec levels, ie. GLS, CD, CDX, Comfort, Design and Elite for example, and the list goes on... therefore if you bought an a CDX you knew exactly what spec / equipment you were getting. However, thats not entirely true, as lower spec models could be ordered with a higher trim level, such as leather or sat nav. But at least you had a reasaonable idea what spec each model was.
I only quote Audi and Vauxhall as I have first hand knowledge of both........
Anyway, now back to Triumphs..........
Just what I was trying to get over. Audi are now doing what Ford put into place in the early eighties i.e. take shell and then apply your choice - paint (type/colour), trim level, engine, transmission, etc. This method does create more production difficulties which modern technology (computers) have to a great extent mitigated.

The other method - which Triumph, Vauxhall, Ford (prior to the change) etc. was to do spec. levels and let the customer customise it a little by the use of the options list. If you did opt for extras then it would be "built to order" and you would have difficulty in obtaining any discount. The "standard" of any given level was much was easier to gain. It all depended on what type of level the dealer was stocking and if they had specified an option(s) on the car. They would want to show off the possibilities but would also want to turn stock over so they could display other paint colours etc.

I prefer the older method as I previously stated it is simpler to know what you are getting and cheaper. Depending on the stock holding of the dealer would you be able to view the exact build that one would choose/prefer with the Audi/Ford method.
Last edited by torque2me on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swifty
Groupie
Groupie

#12 Post by swifty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Was reliability standard or an optional extra? (Albeit a very pricey one) :mrgreen:

Richard B

#13 Post by Richard B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 am

On MkI's leather seats was an option, as was cloth seats on MkII's. PAS, auto and O/D were optional.

I seem to recall that MkI heaters were optional extra's overseas. Hence the NOS heaters that came from Cyprus.

On Spitfires heaters were also option extras. Though try buying one without.

Were MkII Lucas rectangular front foglights optional or dealer fitment?
Richard
Compulsive PI'er :) Daughters have Heralds. Son-in-laws have 2.5's

englishbull

#14 Post by englishbull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Richard have you got that the right way round re seats?

I thought the PFL MK1's had the vinyl, the FL had leather and the cloth was optional extra.
I know my MK1 PI with the red cloth was an optional extra as opposed to leather.

Could be wrong.
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:54 pm

My Mk1 was 1967 and post face-lift (I think). It had leather seats so that could confirm Lee's thoughts.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Jonathan Lewis

#16 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm

englishbull wrote:Richard have you got that the right way round re seats?

I thought the PFL MK1's had the vinyl, the FL had leather and the cloth was optional extra.
I know my MK1 PI with the red cloth was an optional extra as opposed to leather.

Could be wrong.
IIRC:
  • PFL Mk1 had vinyl as standard but leather as extra-cost option - in theory at least (last minute cost-reduction by Leyland :roll: )
  • FL Mk1s had leather as standard. Late FL Mk1s (i.e. PIs and possibly very late 2000s) had the option of bri-nylon across the entire seat facing
  • Mk2s had perforated Ambla as standard and bri-nylon as an option (centre panels only, side bolsters in plain Ambla). Cloth upholstery was possibly an extra-cost option at first, but no-cost on PIs by 1971 or so, and I think across the range by the time of the 1974 facelift. On 2500S models, I think you got cloth (broadcord by then) as standard with Ambla as the no-cost option... :wink:
All the above apply to home-market only; some European-market Mk2s got leather and I think that there might have been upholstery differences for Australia/New Zealand/South African-built cars as well.

Regards,
Jonathan Lewis
2.5PI Mk2

englishbull

#17 Post by englishbull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Cheers Jonathan for that...........
Must admit I personally have never seen a PFL MK1 with leather, other than what as been fitted after the factory by owners.......
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

CAR

#18 Post by CAR » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:47 pm

My PI has all ambla interior and was made at the end of December 1970, it does at least seem to be the hardest wearing material, but also the hottest and coldest in extremes of weather. Leaving the weathershield open all day with shorts wearing passengers is a recipe for disaster :lol:

At this year's National there was a french or swiss mk2 with the leather interior, very nice it looked too.

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Jonathan Lewis

#19 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:00 pm

englishbull wrote:Cheers Jonathan for that...........
Must admit I personally have never seen a PFL MK1 with leather, other than what as been fitted after the factory by owners.......
You're welcome, Lee.

According to 'the book', leather became standard from c/n MB60001, with leathercloth for some export markets. Bri-nylon is quoted as an option from MB93980 - not quite sure when that would be?

I don't think I've ever seen a leather-upholstered PFL Mk1 either, but the factory parts list certainly shows both vinyl and leather seating options for early Mk1s - was leather 'special order only' or perhaps export only?

CRAJ wrote:My PI has all ambla interior and was made at the end of December 1970, it does at least seem to be the hardest wearing material, but also the hottest and coldest in extremes of weather. Leaving the weathershield open all day with shorts wearing passengers is a recipe for disaster :lol:
Otherwise, very comfy, though... Ran an ambla-upholstered Triumph for years and, other than the lack of the 'leather' smell and freedom from cracking with age, you really couldn't tell it from the real thing...
Jonathan Lewis
2.5PI Mk2

christopherhenry
Groupie
Groupie

#20 Post by christopherhenry » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:50 pm

I believe leather was standard in all Belgian built Mk2's. It doesn't age well though, mine is in a terrible state (it's on the to-do list).

I've also got a GB spec parts car that has 2 pull up blinds, just behind the back seat with clips on the roof. Looks pretty authentic but I suspect it was a dealer option or later addition.
Triumph 2000 m/od 1970 LHD French spec (summer daily)
Isuzu Trooper I, 1986 LHD US spec (winter daily)

Register member, the lucky number of the beast: 7666
Saxony, Germany. Originally from London