Forum Technical Extracts in Six Appeal

Information and questions about the Forum and Register website here.
Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Forum Technical Extracts in Six Appeal

#11 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Allen Walker wrote:fora
Hi Allen,

I see you are using that now too!

I only visit another couple of 'fora', and this one is by far the best organised in terms of structure. The others just seem to have one great long list. I also think it's the most friendly, but that may be as I know more people on here than on the others.

Your numbers would suggest that about 20% of Register members are active on the forum?
Allen Walker wrote:older, more cantankerous members.
Now, I wonder who you were thinking of? :)

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

TedTaylor

#12 Post by TedTaylor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 am

Some comments on the feedback.

Mike . A good suggestion you make about giving the non-Forum club membership the opportunity of asking questions which I could post but I have doubts about how well it will work. Bear in mind that there could be a 2 month delay between someone writing to me (or e-mailing) and publishing an answer in Six Appeal, unless I do a printout of the answers and send it to the person concerned directly as well as including with the Forum Notes if suitable. Extra work but if it is only the occasional it is no problem, I will give it a go and let's see what happens.

On the subject of the number of Register members who are also Forum members. It has to be remembered that while a significant number of households now have a computer and internet access not all have the confidence or feel the need to use it as we do, especially older people (and I say that advisedly as a 'pensioner' myself). Perhaps an intro thing at a show where we have a computer with internet access on site (WiFi) and someone who is on the Forum is available to show non-Forum members how to log on.

Probably a bit late for Stoneleigh, not least because Colin and Miranda will have already made their plans and there is not time to set up a schedule of 'advisers' through the day. The National could be a good opportunity to try this.

Perhaps we could have a guide leaflet available to help people, with some info pushing the advantage of being on the Forum - technical advice quickly available, member info available between editions of Six Appeal, adverts .........etc. but who will write it? Allen (who is probably too busy just keeping tabs on us all), or someone else who is knowledgeable.
The Forum cannot replace 'Six Appeal' but should be a useful supplement.

I think that most Forum members use it as a tool for picking up advice or general info and there is no need to be active. This is fine and when someone like Steve gives his valued input on occasion it is valued as much as the regular ......................:
Mike Stevens wrote: Allen Walker wrote:
older, more cantankerous members.

Now, I wonder who you were thinking of? :)

Cheers,
Mike.
Shall we start a black list ........................... :lol:
Last edited by TedTaylor on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Allen Walker

#13 Post by Allen Walker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 am

TedTaylor wrote:....Colin and Miranda....
Watch it, Ted, or you'll be getting a slap - it's Amanda :shock:
Allen Walker
Hoole, Chester[/size]
Used to have a 1976 Triumph 2500S Saloon in BRG :-(

Jonathan Lewis

#14 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

sknight wrote:Visitors ............. maybe I am one of them ? Because I guess I only log on 50% of the time. If there is nothing of interest to me, I just flash over the content and move on
Me also... Would have thought that this would be true for many unless they are intending to post regardless or are checking for PMs (and being a nice, well-mannered Forum, this one tells me when I have one of the latter waiting... :wink: )
Mike Stevens wrote:
Allen Walker wrote:fora
Hi Allen,

I see you are using that now too!
I'll confess to being an offender in that regard as well - I know that the various spellchecks tend to throw a temper tantrum over its use (usually with a forcible amendment to for a :x ), but old habits die hard - a bit like programme vs program, I suppose, though I accept that the latter is the correct usage in certain contexts.

Ah well - must be off to hitch up the chariot, check the auspices and collect my toga from the cleaners... :wink: :lol:

Regards,
Jonathan Lewis
2.5PI Mk2

TedTaylor

#15 Post by TedTaylor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:49 am

Allen Walker wrote:
TedTaylor wrote:....Colin and Miranda....
Watch it, Ted, or you'll be getting a slap - it's Amanda :shock:
Sorry .......I use my age as an excuse :?

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Jonathan Lewis wrote: bit like programme vs program
Hi Jonathan,

I only ever use the former, despite having American 'bosses'. We also sometime have great fun getting dates mixed up, especially in the first 12 days of each month!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Jonathan Lewis

#17 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello Mike,

I was about to comment "When in Rome..." but that would only have added to the previous dreadful pun...!

Right with you on date formats - just can't get my head around the mm/dd/yy format, and daresay the same applies in reverse as well. Also, occasionally need to write/edit something in 'US English' format and must admit I find it a trial, even with the spellcheck calibrated accordingly...

To offer some semblance of an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I'm sure that at least one of the other Forums offers a conversion guide for the various terminologies used to describe the same components or techniques in different English-speaking countries - makes you appreciate what importers and customer relations people at the various factories must go through!

Regards,
Jonathan Lewis
2.5PI Mk2