mot

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
t2000
Groupie
Groupie
mot

#1 Post by t2000 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi 2000 estate just passed mot today are they still finishing mots in may only seems to have gone quiet on topic,

johnnydog

Re: mot

#2 Post by johnnydog » Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 pm

From the 20th May 2018, our Triumphs will all be exempt from MOT testing.
When you need renew the historic excise duty (nil rate) you will have to go to a Post Office that deals with vehicle taxation, and complete a form V112 to declare that the vehicle is exempt from MOT testing.
At the moment, the downloadable form on the Direct Gov UK website has not been updated to included the 40 year exemption, but I presume this will be updated on the day it comes into effect.
All the info re the MOT exemption for our cars is on the DVLA (Direct Gov) website.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Clifford Pope

#3 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri May 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Several interesting points have emerged in discussions on other classic forums, although it's been strangely quiet here.

1) No provision appears to have been made for people renewing their tax before the MOT exemption day whose next MOT will not have been covered by an exemption declaration. (You can only declare MOT exemption when you renew tax)

2) It now seems definite that "significantly modified" does not include upgrading a 2000 to a 2500 engine. The previous proposal for a 15% power increase limit has been dropped.

3) Be aware that if you take an MOT voluntarily, perhaps for peace of mind, and it fails, then you will need to take a retake even after May if you have not previously had opportunity to declare exemption on a tax renewal form. But if you had already declared exemption, and your car failed on say a cracked number plate, you could simply replace it and not bother fussing with a retake. Exemption is not revoked by voluntarily taking an MOT, even if it fails.
(But of course, as at present, you have a responsibility to maintain roadworthiness irrespective of MOT.)

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 pm

The form V112 that is required to be completed when claiming the 40 year MOT exemption when taxing a vehicle, including our Triumphs has now been updated on the Direct Gov website and is available for downloading!
Wonder if there will be surge from tomorrow......?
Register Member no. 1596

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by SimonO » Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 am

My MOT ran out last year whilst it's been worked on. Tax became due last month.

Today I taxed the vehicle online on the Gov.uk website and was asked to 'self declare' MOT exemption at the same time (the last time I tried it refused due to the lack of MOT). So, I now have the exemption declared and 12 months tax.

On the Gov.Uk MOT checks, my vehicle still shows as the MOT running out last year and on the summary as 'no MOT history available' although others now show as a pass - so it may take a few hours/overnight for this to rectify itself.

johnnydog

#6 Post by johnnydog » Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 pm

It makes sense to be able to do the declaration on line at the same time as the tax. Initially the way it was interpreted was that the initial declaration had to be done at a Post Office. If the car has been off the road for many years (in my case 21 years and is still PLG taxation class, not yet changed to Historic) it will necessitate a visit to the Post Office so that the taxation class can be changed and also complete a V112 so that the MOT declaration is done at the same time as taxing it.
Register Member no. 1596

valencia

#7 Post by valencia » Wed May 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm just after some opinions on what to me is a bit of a grey area here. I taxed my car in February but my mot does not expire till July, I see on form V112 it states "It is an offence under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act or article 63 of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 to use a car, motorcycle or light goods vehicle without an MoT certificate on a public road unless the vehicle is ‘exempt’ from MoT testing"

Do I run from July to next Feb with no mot and no declaration of exemption, or should I re-test (I don't really want to ), is there any way to declare without taxing ? A helpful lady at my local post office said I might want to speak to DVLA for clarification, she also said lots of people are coming in for the forms. The V112 also is given back to the vehicle owner, not sent to a Gov agency.
What I am thinking is that perhaps our cars are regarded by the authorities as exempt anyway now- or does the vehicle only become exempt after the declaration.

V112 link
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf
Thanks,
Michael.

Clifford Pope

#8 Post by Clifford Pope » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm

It seems a glaring omission in the DVLA's thought processes not to have considered this commonplace situation. It's obvious that lots of vehicles will have non-coincidental tax and MOT periods, and they appear to have made no provision for this gap.
Why on earth can MOT exemption declaration not be done when the MOT is due - why link it to tax renewal date?

The options that other classic forums have considered are:

1) Interpret the new rules exactly as stated - wait to declare exemption when the tax becomes due

2) SORN the vehicle online, then re-tax on line the next day, declaring MOT exemption

3) re-tax it regardless of the fact it is already taxed, to establish a new tax period that does coincide with the MOT. This apparently is permitted by the system.

4) Print off a V112 declaration form and post it to DVLA anyway, just in case.

Some official guidance would be handy. :)

poppyman
Groupie
Groupie

#9 Post by poppyman » Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

If i am reading this correctly........ We dont have to do anything, untill our cars need taxing. One of my cars mot's expire in 4 days. Will have to see if the dibble's notice :)

Tony.

johnnydog

#10 Post by johnnydog » Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm
It seems a glaring omission in the DVLA's thought processes not to have considered this commonplace situation. It's obvious that lots of vehicles will have non-coincidental tax and MOT periods, and they appear to have made no provision for this gap.
Why on earth can MOT exemption declaration not be done when the MOT is due - why link it to tax renewal date?

The options that other classic forums have considered are:

1) Interpret the new rules exactly as stated - wait to declare exemption when the tax becomes due

2) SORN the vehicle online, then re-tax on line the next day, declaring MOT exemption

3) re-tax it regardless of the fact it is already taxed, to establish a new tax period that does coincide with the MOT. This apparently is permitted by the system.

4) Print off a V112 declaration form and post it to DVLA anyway, just in case.

Some official guidance would be handy. :)
The online system wouldn't previously allow you SORN a vehicle and then retax it virtually immediately unless there was a change of keeper. I think this was primarily to prevent people trying to beat possible increases in excise duty at budget time by surrendering their tax at the end of the month prior to the budget, and then immediately retaxing at the likely lower rate, to in effect get 12 months duty at any pre increase prices. Whether it applied to Historic vehicles that were NIL duty, I'm not sure, but there was no advantage for classic owners to do it anyway!
It would only allow you to retax the car after a month (I think) had elapsed since SORN to beat 'increase dodgers'.
Whether similar will apply to the point above re MOT's is anyones guess. I agree this needs clarication.
Fortunately the tax on mine (that are on the road!) all expire at the end of May, so for me this issue isn't a problem. This date for tax renewals fortunately has come from last minute efforts to get cars on the road for previous Nationals!!!
Register Member no. 1596