Classic Cars, ITV4

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Alec
Classic Cars, ITV4

#1 Post by Alec » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Hello all,

I tuned in this evening to watch this programme, knowing nothing about it. Had I known that Quentin Wilson was part of it I might not have been so keen.

Purely style over substance with regards to their view of the cars is my brief summing up. To start a new series on Classic cars in Britain with the Ford Mustang seemed particularly inappropriate, and Mr Wilson's eulogy of it sums up his slant on cars, the Mustang is essentially a typical American pick up with an attractive body. Built cheaply and sold, it seems for a lot, with no real desire to make a proper sports car. Asking models which car they prefer, again style over substance and a waste of programme time for me. The slot about the TR7 was realistic and I well remember it's introduction and my disappointment that it was slower than the TR6. However it has a good chassis and time has mellowed my view; a TR7 with the Sprint engine is a car I think I would enjoy. The future classics, no, all too modern and proposed with a car trader's mindset. As for the presenter who compared a Studebaker to an Aston Martin, words fail me.

Will I watch the next episode, no I don't think so.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

sprint95m

Well.....

#2 Post by sprint95m » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:07 pm

After reading your post Alec I checked the listings and found this programme is repeated on Sunday mornings,
so I got up extra early this morning.......

Quentin, he is quite the "marmite" as a presenter, always has been so I suspect will always so?
I don't know anything about the Ford Mustang so can't comment on the content of that article.

Alex Riley is a presenter I do like however. He has done quite some moonlighting from Blur to date and I have always liked his style,
I even watched his series on caravanning shown on Quest :oops: ....
Yeah, I think he is pretty much on the money with the TR7. They can be made into pretty good cars so I guess standard ones must be getting rare.

The Mercedes SL v SLS feature I enjoyed for its irrelevance, they cars, like the catwalk models and indeed Tiny, live in a rarefied world very remote from
anything that most of us will ever experience or can hope to (even for they who do the National lottery).
I thought both cars are quite striking in their appearance. The SL has polished chrome so has to be better :D .

Thanks for the heads up, I will tune in again.
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).