When the Pyaramid Rolls

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Tinsmith_Skippy
When the Pyaramid Rolls

#1 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Hope everyone is well!! Wow three months since the baby arrived and not much happening on the car, but I bought this contraption on eBay. I got it cheap and when its cheap there is always something wrong with it and yes no disappointments. I bought it from a blacksmith and I can only assume he was using round bar and tried to roll it and wasn’t man enough for the job. Anyway I think its a home made job so I took it apart put a dial clock on the shaft and with a large persuader it now it doesn’t bind. Crudely clamping to my table I’ve given it a go and here is the result. '

Very roughly measured, with a bit more care on a second attempt it will be pretty close. I'll be starting on the car after Christmas but dad keeps badgering me to work on his Pi so might be longer. Adding to the load I’ve just acquired an Austin 1300 GT and after stripping it down for storage the garage is in a right state, so at the moment I’m having a bit of a clear out.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TedTaylor

Re: When the Pyaramid Rolls

#2 Post by TedTaylor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Looks a great bit of kit!

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Tinsmith_Skippy

Re: When the Pyaramid Rolls

#3 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Cheers Ted definitely going to put it to good use for forming one off panel repairs, still need a few more bits and bobs for the workshop. I've bought a swager for forming but I must have bought the only 5/8 shaft machine in the Uk because the rollers are never on eBay, only 3/4 and I've been quoted £95 pound a set so the 5 common sets and I'm already up to £500. Can't justify that price for the limited amount of use. I've got a lathe to make up the rollers but I need to grind the radius on the tool steel first can do this but takes time, If only a CNC machine was to fall into my workshop.