Sparks and spatter

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Dread Pirate Roberts
Groupie
Groupie
Sparks and spatter

#1 Post by Dread Pirate Roberts » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:35 am

Hi All

Does anyone have any good methods of stopping grinding sparks and weld spatter :oops: from getting onto things? Primarily I'm thinking screens, headlining and dash type area. Since these are all in good order I want to try and protect them.

Might change but as it stands I want to leave these items in place while I do repairs. Seats and carpets will come out and doors can come off but experience dictates that some hot metal will go somewhere you don't want it to.

Screens can be thick card I guess so long as it doesn't catch fire :shock: but what will stay up on the headlining?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated

Steve

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sparks and spatter

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 am

You definately don't want to get those sparks onto the glass. They melt their way into the surface of the glass and are a right b****r to get out again! Sadly, I have ruined some glass like this in the past.

I tend to use thick cloths to protect the glass, but although easy externally, it's a bit difficult to fix in place on the inside.

For other stuff (headlinings, dash etc), I guess again try to cover it all up but I can see covering the headling not being easy. As said, I use thick cloth as thin cloth catches fire too easily. I've done that before including with my own clothes!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Tinsmith_Skippy

#3 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Welding blanket is best bet, 1m x 1m on fleabay £13.00, some market stall sheet clamps (plastic type) and some odd bits of 3mm hardboard to fix it too so it stands up, a curtain rail thingy from the dash board to the parcel shelf or open the windows for the other way. From experience the sound proofing foam on the foot well/bulk head goes up a good'un :? Not easy to protect it all really, an air cut off grinder and has a guard to catch flying sparks but need a good air system to run.
Ross

TedTaylor

#4 Post by TedTaylor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm

For the doors (trim and glass) I simply open the door and hang some heavy blanket over the inside of the doors protecting glass and trim and shut it gently just enough to hold it in place.

Windscreen (front and rear) either very thick card (old boxes opened up) pieces of which can also be used in other areas of the car.

And don't forget to cover the seats!

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Dread Pirate Roberts
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by Dread Pirate Roberts » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks for the replies folks. My old Range Rover had a few blobs stuck in the windows hence the query :oops:

Lots of good ideas there. Welding blanket is not something I'd thought of, I'll look into that. I've used blankets etc before so still have some laying around somewhere, otherwise it's raid the airing cupboard :twisted: