save our cars

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Lloydpiestate

save our cars

#1 Post by Lloydpiestate » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 am

just pasting a copy of a thread thats just being talked about on the ct forum, im sure between the two clubs, we can do this !!!!!!!!!!!!

hi lee,

hows things, well i hope.

the reason i posted what i posted is, apart from being a fab idea if we can find a couple of members etc with storage areas ( or members who know some one that has ) around the country, my personal intention is, as from next year to restore our fab cars from the groud up, nut and bolt resto"s, just as i am doing with my mk1 estate, and sell them on, thus saving our cars, hence one of the reasons for sorting out the panel situation.

if we can all chip in, say £100 each into the "pot" as fuzzy surgested, so we have funds to buy and save these cars, people like me can then buy back the cars from the "club" when we are ready to start restoring another one.

sounds easy dont it but in practice ??????

anyway, to me it sounds like a goer, we just need someone to take up the reigns on this idea and see what happens.

if it happens, there would need to be postings made to stop us bidding against each other so to speak, lots of other internal matters to iron out also, but hay people thets give it a go, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ??

lloyd

englishbull

Re: save our cars

#2 Post by englishbull » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 am

Yes as per my post on CT........................count me in

Plus i doing my bit of late by buying early cars but am also running out of space and a forgiving wife :?

PS yes I fine Llyod asnd trust you are?
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      
No Pi's in my garages
1964 MK1 2000 SaloonConiferMOD
1985 MG Maestro in Silver
1999 Rover 820 Vitesse Turbo in Blue
1962 Triumph Tina Scooter Red
2012/14 RBRR Finisher in Car 94 TEAM 59 RBRR2014

johnconradlee

#3 Post by johnconradlee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I agree with the concept as I certainly don't want to see any more rescueable cars as bangers or on the scrap heap. I'm not sure I could offer much in terms of finance and I don't have any storage space (I'm currently paying £50 per month for a lock up) but I'd certainly support the idea.
The only thing I would say is it is quite important to make sure they are cars that really need saving from the banger racers and not to accidently suck up and restore all the cheaper serviceable cars out of the bottom end of the market that would make decent rolling restorations for the younger less well off grass roots members (not that we have many).
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Lloydpiestate

#4 Post by Lloydpiestate » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 pm

totally agree john and as i mentioned earlier there would be many issues / rules to put in place and thrash out if this idea was to work.

i will give this a little time to see peoples reactions ( 2-3 wks ) and if there are no offers for someone to take up the reigns on this, perhaps i will, as it needs to be done !!

lloyd

Alan Chatterton

#5 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Interesting idea.

I think it merits further thought. Biggest problem I see is storage.
But, I'd be interested in joining such a scheme.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

ken

#6 Post by ken » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:54 am

Hi All

Doing my bit down under just hovering up mk 2 in perth up two four

Ken :lol: :roll:
Ken Bryant
GREENMOUNT PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Register Member 4134
4.3 V8 PI Saloon BRG
http://triumphowners.com/1008
3.8 vs Commodore on lpg
australian built 2500 pi in tango orange

Lloydpiestate

#7 Post by Lloydpiestate » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 am

good on ya ken :D :D

englishbull

#8 Post by englishbull » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 am

I currently still have lock up space/ garages LLyod
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      
No Pi's in my garages
1964 MK1 2000 SaloonConiferMOD
1985 MG Maestro in Silver
1999 Rover 820 Vitesse Turbo in Blue
1962 Triumph Tina Scooter Red
2012/14 RBRR Finisher in Car 94 TEAM 59 RBRR2014

Lloydpiestate

#9 Post by Lloydpiestate » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 am

nice one lee, perhaps nicks mk1 could be heading your way.
im just about to pm him to see the lay of the land

lloyd

TedTaylor

#10 Post by TedTaylor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 am

Lloydpiestate wrote:nice one lee, perhaps nicks mk1 could be heading your way.
im just about to pm him to see the lay of the land

lloyd
Yes I would chuck in my cash subject to very carefully going through the logistics of this but it has to be very carefully thought through. We have had problems getting the Spares Group up and running (not helped by my personal problems this year which have distracted me) such as a bank account which I hope to resolve within the next day or so ...... and that should have been a simple operation! However there is another way of resolving this problem in part and that is for people to be prepared to pay more for cars that come up for sale - especially those with some interest - which will have the knock on effect of pushing up ultimate values anyway.

I am going to upset some people when I say this, but if Nick's Mk1 estate as a very early example was not worth the £800 I understand he was eventually asking, or the early Mk1 (apparently March 1964) not worth £1100 simply for what they were then I think we are onto a loser as far as saving our cars is concerned.

Too much is being said about the costs of restoration and ultimate value. If a car is special for any reason then ultimate cost versus finished value has less meaning for an enthusiast, more whether it is a viable restoration - and sills, outriggers, front floors and a few other bits, plus wing repairs thanks to Lloyd's excellent work, are all available with labour being the biggest cost unless doing the work oneself.

I have rescued a couple of cars over the last couple of years. One was so rotten that it fell apart on the way home :shock: and could only be broken. The other a low mileage car that I tried to sell on with valuable parts to sort out much of what was needed to restore it but had no takers at a price that simply covered my costs. This last car had to be broken in the end :( but I have held on to the shell (which was structurally very sound though needing wing repairs and front which were supplied) to pass on as a freebie to someone who has a very important car to restore :D ....... though it is taking up space for another rescue car.

As far as being prepared to spend money on a restoration is concerned I considered it worth sorting AFH which required new floors, sills, outriggers, nosecone, bonnet, doors, inner and outer rear valence/back panel, rear wings and boot floor :!: Quite a few people said I was mad doing it and I should have scrapped it ........ but why when it was work that could be done by any competent body repairer (I could have done it myself but for the logistics and the good price we arranged I got Andy Dann to do it). Cost so far £3K and paintwork still to do :( . But for me it is worth it to save my car.

Now I await a backlash telling me I am an idiot and to keep my mouth shut!

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014