They're gonna put me in the movies................perhaps !

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
johnnydog
Re: They're gonna put me in the movies................perhaps !

#11 Post by johnnydog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Just to resurrect this topic........
I just 'happened' to be in a charity shop in Haworth, Yorkshire (whilst waiting for my daughter in law in a nearby clothes shop :roll: ) and ended up buying a DVD for £1.50 called Northern Soul, cos I don't mind a bit of local nostalgia.
Watched it last night, not realising the 'importance' of parts of the film, but in the earlier stages, I was surprised to see quite a few lengthy clips of a blue Triumph 2000 OLR712L, being driven on numerous occasions, and also the antics of the occupants in it whilst it was stationary. Impressed!
Searched in Northern Soul on the forum just in case it had been mentioned previously when the film was released in 2014 and found this past topic.......
Dave - I remember you mentioning the film company's request at the time, and I don't know whether you've actually seen the film (I'd be surprised if you haven't coming from Wigan - is that the 'home' of Northern Soul?), but obviously the use of your car NGO obviously didn't materialise, and now I'm sure you are glad you didn't allow them to use it.
Having watched it, the 2000 in the film wasn't treated with any respect at all, which just reinforced to me the fact that no matter what fee you get for allowing a film company to use your car, it wouldn't, in my mind, compensate for the abuse that the cars often get.....
It portrayed the 2000 well - although a quick DVLA check shows it is currently SORNED, and the mot expired in April 2014. On the previous mot, excessive areas of corrosion were reported in the front floor and chassis areas, which were possibly bogged to pass in 2013, as it hasnt got through another test...
Another interesting fact is that it's engine is shown as 3900cc
I'm just wondering if it was the same car that was on show at Victoria Park, Southport a good 10 years ago when we had a Lancashire Group display there - that was a Sapphire saloon with a Rover engine in it, and the then owner claimed the previous owner had 25k spent on it :?: ,but it looked a very cosmetic only job to me which wasn't going to stand the test of time....
Apologies if it's a different car, but I'm not sure it is......
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red