Classic car forums

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Peter Douglas W

#1 Post by Peter Douglas W » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm

If you look at the various en-vogue forums, you may notice that the same persons are always giving help and advice. Is this because there are now in retirement and have time on there hands, or is it that they sit alone in an office and are bored? Or is it, just a way, to get out of doing the washing up? \"Darling! I just have to send a little message to a poor driver who is stuck and does not know what to do. Be back in a while (3 hours)\"
Under these circumstances it is suprising how much useful information comes out of the system.

Peter Douglas W

#2 Post by Peter Douglas W » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:34 pm

P.S. One of the boring days today!!!!

Alec

#3 Post by Alec » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Hello Peter,<br>
<br>
I enjoy forums and regularly participate, (and no I am not retired and
both wash up and cook) hopefully to the benefit of others and also to
engage in debate on various subjects. <br>
One forum I regularly visit is :- http://www.britishcarforum.com. this is an
American site. Overdrives and S.U. carburettors are a common puzzlers
for them, that and Lucas electrical systems.<br>
<br>
Alec<br>

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:15 am

I post fairly often to several, currently having four different vehicles.
<br>In my case I work and cook, but let the dishwasher (Hotpoint) do the washing up.
<br>I offer comments and advice because I am interested in cars, and have been dismantling and repairing them for 40 years. I have never taken a car to a garage for anything other than an MOT, so have over a range of different models dismantled or swapped or fixed just about every component.
<br>
<br>I know the feeling of frustration when stuck with a problem, so I like to think that sometimes my contribution can help others. I think responses can be of use even if they are of no direct help, because it helps to bring in other people with other comments, and somewhere in all this some useful ideas usually emerge.
<br>Also the odd friendly disagreement is fun too.
<br>
<br>My particular angle is finding ways to short-cut the recommended methods, or manage without aquiring the special tool needed to do a job.
<br>I think this liking derives from my second-ever car - a 1947 Triumph Roadster 1800 that cost a princely £45 in 1967. No workshop manual of any kind existed, and I did not know there were clubs for similar enthusiasts. I stripped down and reassembled the best bits of two gearboxes entirely by trial and error. It helped my pocket money go further!
<br>
<br>Cliff Pope