History of Mk2 PI GUY215J

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Biffo

#1 Post by Biffo » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:40 pm

I have recently bought a Mk2 PI and would like to track down a bit more detail about its history.
It is a 1971 car, first registered to Gloucester Police (still has the zipped headlining). Since then it has been used as a rally car, and has RAC rally license stickers in the window for 1975, 76 and 77. It also has the remains of stickers for the Arkell Rally 1976 on the wings.
I am told that just before the last owner bought it it still had alloy bonnet, boot etc but those these were sadly sold before it was purchased. Anyone got them and want to sell them back ?? It still has a massive alloy skid/bash plate fitted unde the engine and gearbox.
Its still very sound and I would like to put it back as close as I can to the rally spec, so any details/pictures/leads that anyone has has would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks
Biffo

sahtuning2000

#2 Post by sahtuning2000 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:42 pm

what running gear does it have?,this car sounds familiar,i heard of a p.i that had alloy doors etc,can,t remember where though??

Biffo

#3 Post by Biffo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi
Sorry, I meant Worcester Police, not Gloucester ! The Gloucester connection comes from the remains of sponsor stickers still visible. One is City Speed Centre, Gloucester. Anyone have any details about these people ?
I think the previous owner to me bought it as a fairly well stripped out shell. It currently has a 2500S engine and man o/d box. It has a set of Cosmic 13\" alloys fitted, but I am pretty sure it would not have been raced on these ! Its a bit of a mix of 2000 parts. The bonnet and bootlid are definitely from a 2000, so are some of the doors apart from one rear door that looks original. That is in steel, so if it had alloy doors I assume they were front only. It has all the drillings for a roll cage, but that has also been removed. A firewall has been welded in between the tank and passenger compartment, though again, the tank is not the original - I guess that may have been alloy as well.
The alloy skid plate is still fitted, this is a really substantial structure, quite heavy. The grill, which appears to be a copy of the works type with the centre mesh section, also has small holes drilled around the lights - I guess to fit stone guards ? I have not investigated the rear end at the moment, though the boot does seem alot higher than I remember my old PI being, and there is not a lot of give in the suspension, so I guess that might be the original rally springs. The front springs seem lower, not sure of their history. The struts were matched, but one spring is now about 1/2\" shorter than the other and one top mount is shot, so are the gaitors, so they will need replacing anyway. Anybody got any (cheap) spares ?? I need a couple of decent front discs as well !
Thanks
Biff

sahtuning2000

#4 Post by sahtuning2000 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:53 am

have you just bought this car???if so,i might have some interesting news for you if you have and it was from a certain place!!!!

Biffo

#5 Post by Biffo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:42 am

Yes, I bought it recently. Not sure what you mean \"from a certain place\" - I bought it privately. Fill me in !

sahtuning2000

#6 Post by sahtuning2000 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:08 am

don,t worry!its just i have bought a nice uprated engine and it was from a 2.5s,triple webers etc,and i was told it was from a rally prepared car that never happened???but if you got it privately then it wasn,t the remains with a standard 2.5 engine put in

Scottie
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by Scottie » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 am

biffo City Speed used to be Gloucesters only rally/modified car store i been there several times i say used its closed down now due to your halford ripspeed store in the 80/90 the guys in there knew there stuff with cars they did if i rember right sponsor a few cars in all types of motor sport i guess you have one
Scottie

Biffo

#8 Post by Biffo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06 am

Well, for any of the 100+ that read my original request for info and were in the least interested, I have made progress ! I have tracked down the 3rd owner who did the rally preparation, along with a lot of interesting info. I have a few more threads to pull together, then I will probably put something together for Six Appeal. And that alloy skid plate is a genuine ex works item......

Biffo

#9 Post by Biffo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:58 am

Well, GUY (or MRD as it is now) passed to a new owner this Autumn. The history I traced for the car is as follows:
First registered to West Mercia police in June 1971 it was sold after three years to a private but \"ranked\" individual, then went to a certain Mr Chris Rabbetts. Anyone who has an interest in Renault Alpine A110\'s will probably have heard of him ! The car was road rallied (sometimes towing a caravan !) but this was no banger racer ! It was fitted with a lot of works kit as Chris had contacts at Abingdon. Alloy bonnet and bootlid, roll cage - it even had a set of alloy doors but these never got fitted and eventually were sold with the car ! The was fitted with an LSD, full alloy skid plate and the engine was fully tuned and ported and the original injection retained but tuned to works spec. I\'m told it was good for close to 200bhp.
The car was eventually sold to a chap who kept it for a while then sold it off in bits. I got the shell through a further owner, no doubt incentivised, like me, by the valuable plate !
Well, in my ownership GUY was put back together and MOT\'d. No fancy works bits apart from the surviving works skid plate, and running a 2500S engine and box. I hate to admit it but I put the reg on retention and sold the car on in autumn this year. However, it went to a GREAT home ! A Doctor who (?) spends his spare time historic rallying ! He even sold his Volvos to devote his time to this Triumph ! And to my knowledge he has already resprayed the car, fitted a new engine with a Witor head and a few tuning bits and uses the car properly. I did pass on Register details, hopefully he has or will join. So, not the end of the story but the closing of my chapter. 
Biff