mk1 choke cable

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
widget
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 am

mk1 choke cable

#1 Post by widget » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Any one got one...just checked wittors and it says out of stock...mines fubar
MK1 2000
Herald 1200
MK3 Fiesta
blog..triumphwaffle.blogspot.co.uk

johnnydog
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: mk1 choke cable

#2 Post by johnnydog » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm

I will have one - do you need the whole lot, or just the solid inner cable (well it's a solid wire really), the outer cable (it's in two sections with a rubber hose jointing piece held by two star washers) with the contact piece that illuminates the dash warning light?
On my Royal Blue MK1 I have done away with the two piece outer cable, as invariable when the choke is pushed in, if there is the remotest bit of resistance (from the fast idle cam for instance), the cable seperates at the joint.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

User avatar
widget
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 am

Re: mk1 choke cable

#3 Post by widget » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 pm

might as well have the whole lot..if you've got it spare
MK1 2000
Herald 1200
MK3 Fiesta
blog..triumphwaffle.blogspot.co.uk

User avatar
johnconradlee
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:33 am
Location: Havant, Nr Portsmouth, England

Re: mk1 choke cable

#4 Post by johnconradlee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 am

johnnydog wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm
I will have one - do you need the whole lot, or just the solid inner cable (well it's a solid wire really), the outer cable (it's in two sections with a rubber hose jointing piece held by two star washers) with the contact piece that illuminates the dash warning light?
On my Royal Blue MK1 I have done away with the two piece outer cable, as invariable when the choke is pushed in, if there is the remotest bit of resistance (from the fast idle cam for instance), the cable seperates at the joint.
Are you sure outer is supposed to be in two pieces? I thought the rubber bit was just to stop the choke cable from wearing through the servo vacuum hose (unless there's another rubber bit behind the dash I'm not aware of).
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green - Currently on SORN. Requires the engine sorting and a bit of bodywork (blooming rust! :evil: ).

johnnydog
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: mk1 choke cable

#5 Post by johnnydog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 am

widget wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 pm
might as well have the whole lot..if you've got it spare
I will check my 'stock' this weekend and PM you
johnconradlee wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 am
johnnydog wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm
I will have one - do you need the whole lot, or just the solid inner cable (well it's a solid wire really), the outer cable (it's in two sections with a rubber hose jointing piece held by two star washers) with the contact piece that illuminates the dash warning light?
On my Royal Blue MK1 I have done away with the two piece outer cable, as invariable when the choke is pushed in, if there is the remotest bit of resistance (from the fast idle cam for instance), the cable seperates at the joint.
Are you sure outer is supposed to be in two pieces? I thought the rubber bit was just to stop the choke cable from wearing through the servo vacuum hose (unless there's another rubber bit behind the dash I'm not aware of).
If you look at any original unmolested Mk1, you will see the jointing piece on the choke cable. The star washers actually are slightly bigger than the rubber joining piece, so if it was there to protect the servo vacuum hose, then the edge of the star washers would do an equally good or even better job of cutting through the servo hose.
I haven't one at hand, but I'm certain a parts manual or even a sales brochure will show it.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

johnnydog
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: mk1 choke cable

#6 Post by johnnydog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Widget - pm sent re the choke cable!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests