some parts and some helped needed!

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
osholt
Groupie
Groupie

#1 Post by osholt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:18 pm

So far I have been quite successful with sourcing parts on the forum. I mostly have John to thank for that!

I have done some more research and enquiries into the history of the car and discovered there are few things I need to change based on this photo of the car from 1978 I acquired from Geoff P who was (and may still be) a member of the register and one of the previous owners of my car.
  • --The car no longer has the BL badges on the wings.

--The aerial is now a bad-looking rubber one. I would like to return it to the style shown in the photo.

--The door mirror(s) are no longer present. I would like to put some of the same style shown in the photo back on.

--The differential has been changed from the original 4.1:1 to 3.45:1. I would like to change this back as it is severely hampering the performance of the car.
I am going to contact Wins and Chris Witor about these but if anyone has any suggestions, sources or offers, particularly regarding the diff, I would be very interested to hear them.

Thanks,

Oliver
Register Member No. 7822-01/17

Triumph 2000 Mk2 Sapphire Blue (1972) - Currently being upgraded to 2.5 EFI
Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!
Mini Clubvan Cooper D Ice Blue (2012)

Alan Chatterton

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Do not put a 3.45 on a 2000. It will make it so slow. Go 3.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

osholt
Groupie
Groupie

Re: some parts and some helped needed!

#3 Post by osholt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:42 pm

You misread. It has 3.45 that a previous owner put in and is painfully slow. I want to return it to 4.1.

Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!

Alan Chatterton

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Ahhhh sorry!! Agreed. 4.1 is right.

Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Regarding the mirror in your pic, that looks to be from a Triumph Stag. A 2000 of that year didn't have door mirrors as standard, but facelift models and retrofit ones were of this type.......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-E-TYPE ... Sw5cNYT-oL
As for wing badges the part no. is CZH 657, I found these......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/CLASSIC- ... 68%26rk%3D
2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D252747535501%26clkid%3D2332110409862505974&_qi=RTM2063750
As for the radio aerial, I have fitted a roof aerial to both my cars, a bit more faff to fit, but better reception, in my opinion look better and less susceptible to accidental damage/vandalism.
The diffs should be fairly readily available secondhand in 4.1 to 1 ratio, most folk are looking for 3.45 diffs these days. Try John up my away again, he'll probably have one, strangely enough we were talking about diffs at our club meeting last week, but I wouldn't like to pay to put one in the post box!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

osholt
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by osholt » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 pm

My aim is to return the car to the specification shown in this photo form 1978 as much as is reasonably possible. I listen to music on my phone so I don't really care about reception all that much. I'm just going for originality; that's why I'm putting the centre console ash tray back in, not that anyone will ever smoke in the car. It also avoids having to fill and repaint the front wing :lol: .

I am reasonably sure the wing mirrors were a dealer fit based on the owner history but I could be wrong. The mirror you linked to isn't the same shape as the one on the car but it has pointed me in the right direction. I have found some which appear to have the same base but the mirror back itself doesn't have the defines creases as the one in the picture.

I shall keep investigating.

The other thing I forgot to add is I am looking for a 2 prong steering wheel as used on the 2000 Mk2. The centre caps seem readily available but the wheels not so much.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Oliver

Alan Chatterton

#7 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:15 am

You need to be at the Triumph show at Stoneleigh on Sunday 19th Feb.

You'll find a diff, and a steering wheel and most likely the BL badges too.

The Register will have a stand there, come and say hello and have a chat.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

osholt
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by osholt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm

You mean the MG & Triumph Spares Day?

I bought tickets a while a go. I'm sure I'll find some stuff there. Whether or not it's at the right price is a different matter :lol: .

I will definitely come and have a chat. The West Surrey local group meetings are off during the Winter and there doesn't appear to be too many active group members round here so you will be the first members I've actually met. I will come armed with a load of photos. There is very small chance I might come up in the 2000 if the cylinder head swap and general engine tuning is done by then.

Thanks,

Oliver

Alan Chatterton

#9 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes, that's the one. Find our stand and cone and say hello.

Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

johnnydog

#10 Post by johnnydog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 am

Hi Oliver,
I've just read your quest to get your car back to as per the photo.
I agree with Dave; door mirrors weren't fitted to your era of car - it was wing mirrors or nothing! You could fit the later Tex / Wingard style mirrors as fitted to facelift cars, but I'm personally not a great fan of them.
The mirrors in the photo are very similar to the Raydyot type which were available as an aftermarket fitment in a chrome or satin black finish. They also made one for towing that had a thumb nut that when released allowed the mirror head to rotate and extend outwards to increase the rearward vision whilst towing. These weren't original fitment but I like them and they are very similar to those on that photo.
As the hole is already there for the aerial, I would replace the rubber one with a good quality wing mounted aerial. I agree with Dave that roof mounted ones are my preference, but as the hole is already there.....it's worth noting the diameter of the existing hole before buying one as the base mounting varies in size with different makes, and if the base mounting doesn't cover the existing hole......
You should be able to pick up the lower wing badges at Stoneleigh this weekend. It isn't clear about the fitment if these badges - some cars just had a badge on one side, some had them on both sides. I think early pre facelift cars only had one but I will stand corrected. There different types; the earlier ones were a monkey metal with raised lettering, and the later ones were plastic with a smooth face.
I have just sold a 4.1 diff a couple of weeks ago!!!! I'm not sure if I have another that is not on a car.
I may also have a Mk2 2000 steering wheel.
I am going to Stoneleigh this weekend - if you want me to check for anything let me know (as soon as you can as its this weekend!!)
John
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red