Distributor

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
johnconradlee
Distributor

#1 Post by johnconradlee » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Does anyone have a useable early Mk1 distributor, part no.210638 / Lucas 40967 in their spares pile I can buy/borrow (I checked and CW hasn't got one by the way).
Although my car runs ok I suspect the play in the distributor shaft along with the fact the points are covered in oil is the reason why she won't idle consistently. I'm quite tempted to have a go at repairing the existing distributor as a nice indoor winter job (can't be any worse!) but I need to keep the car running at the moment.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

david_lall

Re: Distributor

#2 Post by david_lall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:39 pm

It's always worth trying Aldon for distributors

http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

Charles H

#3 Post by Charles H » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Just use an aldon electronic ignition system. :D The play in the shaft then doesn't really matter.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

johnconradlee

#4 Post by johnconradlee » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 pm

I did think about just upgrading to electronic ignition but I'm sure for longevity the electronic ignition magnetic pickup would be happier if it wasn't living in a mist of engine oil. Plus of course it still relies on the mechanical advance working properly and I think the advance weights sticking is part of the idling issue.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!